SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Stainless P226 slide pin troubles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless P226 slide pin troubles Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
My slide pin is solid with domed ends and acts like it’s WELDED in.
I’ve been banging on the right side of the pin like an ape and I’m about to lose my shit.
Flat tip punch has already slipped off causing just a *hint* of a scratch. (Got lucky)
The only cup tip punch I can find online is from Brownells for $25.
Top Gun- discontinued
Midway- never heard of it
Did cup tip punches go the way of the Dodo?

I thought maybe some Kroil might help but no dice! Mad

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of those pins are near impossible to move. I always used a shorty cup tip punch, but didn’t realize they’re now rare. A machine shop may be able to press it out. Good luck!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As I recall the size of the cup tip punch used for the pins was 3mm. SIG used to sell two lengths, including a short one to get things started. Long ago on a tour of the SIG factory there was a HUGE arbor press in one work area and I’ve always assumed it was for those pins. Again, it’s been some time, but I seem to remember that Grayguns just drills them out, or did.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Items 7 and 8
A short and long 3mm cup punch.
https://www.brownells.com/tool...nches/?sku=080620300

Posts: 1480 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
As I recall the size of the cup tip punch used for the pins was 3mm. SIG used to sell two lengths, including a short one to get things started.

“SIG used to sell” being the key phrase.
quote:
Originally posted by powermad:
Items 7 and 8
A short and long 3mm cup punch.

Got one on the way…$25 with shipping. Roll Eyes
I never bothered with buying one when seemingly everybody had them for sale. All my German SIGs used roll pins and I’m well stocked for those.
Even with the correct punch, I’m not sure this thing will move.
I’m loading up on bananas to go ape again when the punch gets here later this week. I’ll give it one more shot and if that doesn’t work either say F-it or send the slide to SIG and have them deal with it!

Edit to add:
I bought this gun used (cop trade in) a few years ago. It sat in my safe and I finally got around to detail stripping it. There was grease crammed EVERYWHERE along with a good amount of carbon mixed in. I really want to clean out the FP channel and change its spring since I’m refreshing all the others. Best I can do right now is generous amounts of gun scrubber.
I want to shoot this one because the frame rail anodizing is in much better shape than my other guns.
The folded slide German guns have been shot a LOT.

--------

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
My old P229 duty gun has a decent sized scratch on the slide where our armorer at the time tried to get that pin out (far from the only scratch on that gun!). He was doing routine maintenance on all the guns, and despite herculean efforts he could not get my slide pin to budge. Iirc, he soaked it in Kroil, used a BFH, and even tried pressing it out, but there was no getting it to move at all. He got them out of all the other guns, just not mine.

I now own that gun, and I haven't tried to mess with it. It shoots fine (I've done the gun scrubber down the firing pin channel a few times, just because), and until it doesn't I'm just not willing to fight that fight. Some day it may come to that, and when it does I'll have to cross that bridge. I own a shop press and a drill press, so I'll figure something out if I have to, but for now it gets to stay.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
The saga continues…
BFH, correct punch, taped up slide. Beat me daddy 8 to the bar, (apologies to Commander Cody).
Nada, zilch. Just started to deform the punch, stopped because it’s obvious that it WON’T budge.

After I get bored with just shooting the bejeezus out of it, I may send it to SIG.
Replace solid with a roll pin(s) please.

--------

posted Hide Post
Yeah, I've mushroomed many punches and that pin. It's just not worth trying to get that pin out yourself. Send it in to sig for that. Crazy, how they designed those older German sigs, being so difficult to get those pins out.

Posts: 636 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send it to Sig is good advice.

If you really want to do it yourself, drill a hole on a piece of 2x4, place it on a concrete floor and use a five pound sledge.

Momentum is your friend.

Good luck.

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin
LOL I don’t think my punch would hold up to that!

--------

Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
If using a padded jaw vise, position the slide so the pin is close to the jaws so your off hand can hold the cup punch in-line, with your hand resting on the vise to hold it steady. ONLY hit the pin once. Check punch position. Hit again harder, again just once each time, repeat hitting will surely have the punch slip off and then damage slide. A good size hammer is fine, just ramp up slowly. I have a 10 ton electric over hydraulic Sunnen BP-10 that I've never had to use - though I'm sure it would drive any pin!

https://i.imgur.com/kVcUVvX.jpg

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
If dry fired a lot, without snap caps, the solid pins deform. Metal is displaced by the firing pin strikes and burrs form. The burrs make it difficult to impossible to remove with a punch and hammer. Let SIG handle the impossible ones.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2039 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I had a couple pins crack in my P220ST. I agree that firing without snap caps will break that pin.
I always felt it was harmonics that cracked the pins.

Posts: 4631 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
For dry firing, I use half a foam earplug stuffed in on the back of the firing pin to absorb the energy of the hammer.

I think the Robert Burke (The Sig Armorer) does the same.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are the slides that use this solid pin drilled different than the slides that use the roll pins?

I am not real familiar with the 226 setup, but I see the P229 milled slides of all three variations tend to have mostly the roll pin with some 40/357 legacy short extractors having the solid pin.

Thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No milled slides have roll pins like the folded slides if that is what you meant by roll pin.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11004 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Are you 100% certain you are driving it out in the correct direction? I recall those being one-way pins with one end slightly larger than the other.

I have one of the short cup-tipped punches made just for this if you want to borrow it.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17278 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
No milled slides have roll pins like the folded slides if that is what you meant by roll pin.

Thanks for catching that I missed the proper call out "spiral roll pin". I was referring to the two types of factory Sig pins that were used on the milled slides. One being the solid pin and the other being spiral roll pin.

I only have one very late model milled slide in hand that is currently bare and I notice the holes on both sides of slide are the exact same with the left side of slide having an additional very shallow bore slightly bigger which might be for the splined end of the solid pin?

Are the slides made for the solid pin exactly as I describe above? Or do those slides made for solid pins actually have a bigger hole on left side all the way through the left side?

Thanks

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post