SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 DA not resetting properly
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 DA not resetting properly Login/Join 
posted
Hello
Just picked up an old German P220 that has the newer strut assembly. On dry fire, if I pull the trigger and don’t hand rack the slide to SA, the DA does not reset. It feels like it is stuck and will get caught then reset after I fully release the trigger and pause. Almost like it is getting caught up or a spring is not as strong to push a sear back or something. I have attached a picture of the part that is getting stuck in a delayed reset.

I know there won’t be a situation where I fire the gun and it goes back to DA but no other Sig SA/DA has ever had this issue. Any thoughts for self diagnose before I send it to a Sig Armorer.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
You’re saying that your hammer is not resetting? Have you looked at the hammer return spring? I had one fail many years ago that exhibited conditions exactly as you describe. It is also possible that you have hidden debris creating enough friction between parts to keep the sear spring from doing its job.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
You’re saying that your hammer is not resetting? Have you looked at the hammer return spring? I had one fail many years ago that exhibited conditions exactly as you describe. It is also possible that you have hidden debris creating enough friction between parts to keep the sear spring from doing its job.

The hammer will reset physically and go back in the “rest” position but the trigger itself won’t have the reset click until I fully let go and then wiggle the hammer or trigger. It’s like it is stuck.

Posts: 907 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: April 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aftermarket grips? Regardless, remove the right grip panel and make sure the trigger bar spring is installed correctly.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Maybe this helps. Both positions are with the trigger reset in DA. One is before it clicks and the other is after it clicks. Not sure what that part is but I have to tap the trigger to get that piece to drop and click.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can’t tell from the photos what’s going on, but what I’d recommend is learning how to disassemble the pistol fully and do that first. I haven’t checked, but there should be videos available showing how to do that, and it isn’t very difficult. Clean and lube everything and inspect to see if there are any obvious burrs that could be interfering with proper movement of the action parts. It may be that there’s just a bit of debris or something like built-up congealed lube that’s causing the problem.

But we might also benefit from a photo of the right side of the grip with the plate removed. The trigger bar spring is probably not the reason for the problem, but it is and easy check to confirm.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suivezmoi
posted Hide Post
Check out SigGuy on youtube. He's got some extremely helpful videos.

“We do not rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training.”

- Archilochos

Posts: 35 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
It sounds like you need the rest of the parts for the strut conversion.

New style hammer
Strut and base
Hammer stop and spring.

Parts list from my conversion, already had G10 grips and the hammer.
Hammer-Strut-7
Mainspring-Seat-2
Mainspring-1/#1202830-R
Spring-39 (Hammer Reset Spring)
Hammer Stop #1202686-R

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
I did the opposite with mine.
I installed an SRT and swapped out the hammer as it was damaged.

Same result, no reset with DA.
Installed the other parts and it works as normal.

Posts: 1476 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post