SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    duracoat shake-n-spray kit
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

duracoat shake-n-spray kit Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
just bought one from Brownells. Plan on coating an ancient 870 wingmaster that has seen better days and maybe a slide or barrel of my P3AT.

Anyone done this before ? I've watched the videos, but any tips would be appreciated if you've undertaken this task. Thanks.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Let us know how it works out

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck but I've always wondered how they got away using "Dura" in their name...

Happiness is a warm gun,
Bang bang, shoot shoot.

The Beatles
Nov. 1968

Posts: 90 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen that sprayer at Home Depot. No experience with it, but it’s common.

I’ve had good luck with Duracoat durability. It’s all in prep and cure.
- clean. I’d go with boiling water to get oil/ grease melting out of every last gap.
- clean again with solvent. Alcohol, acetone worked for me, leave no residue
- media blast
- clean some more.
- spray

I have an airbrush. It was happy off a pancake compressor (pressure turned way down, just an air tank at that point). Cheap dehumidifier in line. Spray like any other coating, overlapping and even.

If you can oven cure, great. I hung mine (pvc through barrel, T on the end) in the basement and just ignored it for like 90 days. Ive done two Ithaca Model 37 deerslayers (police trades) this way and refinished my Century CETME with no issues. Practiced on a few G3 mags.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Thank you SigJacket. Hadn't heard the "boiling water" suggestion before. Probably worth a try.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
Thank you SigJacket. Hadn't heard the "boiling water" suggestion before. Probably worth a try.

When I first got into milsurp, I asked Dad (Ordinance Corp in Vietnam) what they had used to clean cosmoline off. His answer was 55 gallon drums of boiling water, just dip em in.

I use a teapot, and pour down the action when shooting corrosive ammo. That’s when I would notice grease coming out of cracks on my “clean” rifle. For Duracoat prep, down the gullet was good for heating it up and getting lubes moving, around the outside to flush it away. Doesn’t hurt, dries quickly, you can do it several times until satisfied.

Can’t get too clean.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Just thought I'd chime back in. I did spray coat the action and barrel of an 870 wingmaster and the slide, mags, and pins of a P3AT.

Both were just blued steel prior to spraying and both were subject to a little bit of rust if I didn't keep a close eye on them. (all my other handguns are either stainless or plastic and aluminum for the most part) So, the spray was for protection from rust and looks I suppose.

I was happy with the way the coating went on. The slide looks great and had no issues at all. I got one drip on the barrel from spraying too heavy a coat. Did 3-4 coats total. Thin enough that everything went back together well. The slide is a tiny bit tighter than it was, but still functions well.

Only time will tell how well and how long the coating holds up, but it's bound to do better than the bluing was....

Just putting things back together, I could tell that the dura-coat was reasonably tough. No scratches or places where the coating wore off during reassembly.

I'm pleased with the purchase and ease of application. I'd do it again.

------------------
SBrooks

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update!

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post