SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Which direction for rear sight removel
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which direction for rear sight removel Login/Join 
posted
OK, I'm ready to swap out the rear sights on my P229. When I Google search this issue I get mixed answers on several different forums. Does anyone know the definitive (Sig) procedure for removing the rear sights on a P229 (right to left or vice versa) as viewed from the rear of the slide?

Posts: 256 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can remove rear sight from either side. Install from left side

Front sight the same but install from right side

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blue Dog,

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4sigman
posted Hide Post
Install both from left side.

Posts: 274 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: April 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sigman:
Install both from left side.

Yes.
Many sights are slightly beveled on the base to help avoid problems when installing. All the sights I've seen were beveled on the right side, and therefore should be installed from the left side.

I always remove sights from the right side with the idea that the new sights will then go in on the same surfaces. It may not matter, but ....

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I put new sights on my P229 last weekend. I don't know if the direction to remove matters but I removed right to left and installed left to right. I used a hammer and punch and it was easy.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bumper
posted Hide Post
Correct Left to right on, right to left off. A good sight pusher, I think the best is the MGW Sight Pro, but there are some less expensive good ones too, is the way to go.

If you are reduced to wailing away with a hammer and brass punch, some pencil lead on the sight base will keep from transferring brass color to the base.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Nevada, United States | Registered: April 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post