SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Update on 220 ST Extraction Problems
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on 220 ST Extraction Problems Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update!

Posts: 4669 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 220 is back from Gray Guns

I was able to get it out for 40 rounds today and everything seems to be working

I will take it out on Tuesday for practice night and run it hard to make sure it's where it needs to be

below is a pic of the slide ( Bottom /Black) with the Gray Guns extractor

Above is the orgional extractor and a 220 slide with the orgional extractor installed

The Gray Guns extractor appears longer and is cut a little different, I did not take it out of the slide to see what was milled on the slide

RC

Posts: 1944 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Great news!

Posts: 4669 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC2PD:
I was a police armorer before I retired and worked on the P220ST for over 10 years. It was our standard duty weapon. Occasionally I had to replace the extractor occasionally but the number one extraction related problem I delt with was the locking block. I have never been able to figure out why. No cracks or visible damage. I would go to the range and start swapping out parts. When I would switch out the locking block the extraction problems stopped. To confirm it I would put the bad locking block in another P220ST that worked fine and it would start malfunctioning. I would also check the recoil spring if the gun is getting old. Hard to say what is wrong without actually seeing the weapon. Good luck.

Locking block? Thanks for that heads up sir.

Posts: 1937 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a heads-up for anyone sending a firearm to a gunsmith for repair. My understanding is this does not require an FFL transfer.

My understanding might be incorrect, so please ask your gunsmith before shipping.

Posts: 43 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Bravo:

Just a heads-up for anyone sending a firearm to a gunsmith for repair. My understanding is this does not require an FFL transfer.
This was true, the last couple times that I did this. HOWEVER, if you ship it yourself, it will have to go UPS or FedEx; FFL can ship Priority Mail, which is much cheaper than UPS or FedEx.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31130 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Correct. Only an FFL holder can use USPS and UPS and FedEx are not easy to deal with.

It comes down to how much the FFL will charge versus doing it yourself.

My point is you don't need an FFL.

Posts: 43 | Registered: May 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of USMC2PD
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting reloads I suggest your try factory ammo before trying to repair anything. 230 grain shoots great in mine. I did an eaarlier response on this subject that solved most of my departments extraction issues.

Posts: 49 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alpha Bravo:
Correct. Only an FFL holder can use USPS and UPS and FedEx are not easy to deal with.

It comes down to how much the FFL will charge versus doing it yourself.

My point is you don't need an FFL.

Non-FFLs can legally use USPS to ship rifles. Only handguns are prohibited.

Q

Posts: 27166 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Behold my
Radiance!
Picture of Grayguns
posted Hide Post
Hiya! How’s it working?

Designer and custom pistolsmith at Grayguns Inc. Privileged to be R&D consultant to the world's greatest maker of fine firearms: SIG SAUER

Visit us at http://opspectraining.com/product-cat/videos/ to order yours, and Thank You for making GGI the leader in custom SIG and HK pistolsmithing and high-grade components.

Bruce Gray, President
Grayguns Inc.
Grayguns.com / 888.585.4729

Posts: 9526 | Location: Reedsport & Spray, Oregon | Registered: October 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Bruce

Sorry I missed your post

The 220 appears to be running well, life has gotten in the way of shooting but I was able to get a couple of hundred round thru it no problems. Hopefully with the weather changing I will be able to get it out some more.

I am glad you had a solution ,otherwise all I would have had was a good looking paper weight

I am still disappointed that Sig would not acknowledge the extraction problems some of these 220’s were having, when I talked to customer support it was easy to tell they were going to blame ammo, or not being clean enough etc. and that it was going to cost me in chasing the problem with them.

On your side of it, it’s great that you identified the problem and came up with a solution.

Was there quite a bit of work involved in figuring out a solution?

Because it was not consistent
How does someone else with a similar problem narrow it down to the best solution is to send it in for the modification?
And feel that was the route they needed to take.

RC

Posts: 1944 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:

On your side of it, it’s great that you identified the problem and came up with a solution.

Was there quite a bit of work involved in figuring out a solution?

Because it was not consistent
How does someone else with a similar problem narrow it down to the best solution is to send it in for the modification?
And feel that was the route they needed to take.

It's been a long time, I don't even recall what year it was. My local gun store at the time brought back a P220R from the shot show. It was one of the first ones with the new stainless slide .
It did not extract right out of the box, Sig sent another extractor, no good. Found a folded slide for it and it was great. Bruce came up with this solution, there were many complaints about that redesign but Sig did nothing, I don't believe they knew what to do to fix it.
But anyway, it was a pretty common problem and Bruce spent a lot of time and effort on it and I thank him for that.

Posts: 1337 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to believe that Sig after seeing Bruce’s upgrade understood what the problem was, but because of the cost of a recall buried their head in the sand.

It’s not like Sig and Bruce don’t talk…..

Other manufactures have had problems and have stepped up to correct manufacturing problem's.

Sigs response has been very disappointing.

RC