SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    Does anyone polish extractors ??

Moderators: Chris Orndorff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone polish extractors ?? Login/Join 
posted
Howdy, this morning , I was laying on the couch , in the sun , with my cat on my belly. for reasons unknown , I began to think about extractors and what a tough job they have. They take a terrible beating. We expect them to snap over the rim of a cartridge in a fraction of a second , only to change direction and rip out the spent case. It's amazing that the darn things work at all.

Question: Does anyone ever polish the part of the extractor that contacts the case rim , (in an attempt to decrease friction and improve function) ?? Does it help ?

Just thinking out loud...now back to the couch !! Wink

Posts: 1038 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the gun is reliable, don't touch it. If you're only curious, just check the extractor and see if there are any burrs or unusual wear.

It's like polishing feed ramps. If the gun feeds well, don't touch it. Shiny does not necessarily mean better.

That's my simple minded philosophy. I did polish and stone an extractor on a P226 Sig .22 conversion once. Had issues and after inspecting didn't like what I saw. Polished and slightly reshaped. Ran fine after.

I'm a decent amateur gunsmith. The reason I'm "decent" is I don't fix what ain't broke.

Posts: 4419 | Location: Northeast | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike28w:
We expect them to snap over the rim of a cartridge in a fraction of a second

If we’re talking about Sig pistol extractors, or pistol extractors in general, they don’t “snap over” the rim. The round slides up from the mag and behind the extractor. Keep that breechface clean!

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8534 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

If we’re talking about Sig pistol extractors, or pistol extractors in general, they don’t “snap over” the rim. The round slides up from the mag and behind the extractor. Keep that breech face clean![/QUOTE]

Actually , I had an acquaintance who was struggling with an older bolt action 22. It was mostly cleaned and kind of lubed ( while at the range) and that helped. I was thinking that if it were mine, I'd disassemble the bolt and chuck all the pieces in my ultrasonic cleaner. And then.....maybe polish ??

Keep the comments coming....I appreciate all of the thoughts !! mike

Posts: 1038 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
As others have already stated, if it works, don't mess with it!

In my 50+ years of shooting and gun ownership, I have NEVER polished an extractor of any kind, and have never needed to! In that amount of time, the number of guns I have owned easily exceeds 100, so were not talking about a small sampling.

Cheers!

Bill R.
North Alabama

Posts: 3837 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post