SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    how to replace decocker spring in P232
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

how to replace decocker spring in P232 Login/Join 
posted
I went to replace the grips on my 232. Easy right? Nope. I accidentally knocked loose what I think is the decocker spring and not I can't figure out how to get it back in place. Any help much appreciated.

IMG_3812 by Keith Olin, on Flickr

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post

At 3:30 mark shows spring.

Posts: 1645 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I got it from here, thanks Greyman. Just sits on top. I thought it was a more complicated routing.

I did search before posting but all I found was a thread in another forum that didn't give me the solution but did mention how easily that spring comes off when the grips come off. Saw a bunch of field strip videos and watched a couple of them but did not see this one where he removes the grips. Who takers off grips in a field strip?

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kho:
Who takers off grips in a field strip?

No one if it’s a traditional “field” strip.

Although I’ve never attempted to confirm my belief, I always assumed that field stripping meant the degree of disassembly that could be done safely in adverse situations, such as in a field or in “the field” (as the soldiers call it). Disassembling an autoloading pistol, for example, to frame/grip, slide, barrel, and recoil spring with guide doesn’t run the risk of losing something beyond recovery in the weeds or mud. All those little springs and other parts inside, though? An entirely different matter.

But as so often happens, and especially when talking about guns, someone hears a term, doesn’t really understand what it actually refers to, and then starts using it to refer to something else. Then other people hear/see it being used that way and first thing we know, voilà: That’s what it means forever (to some people, anyway), and woe betide any traditionalist who dares point out the misuse.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not intend to be critical of the you tube poster, after all it showed me what I needed to know to put the spring back in place. I just did not expect to find that in what was described as a field strip when I was searching prior to posting here, which to me is the normal disassembly as you described for cleaning. Which for me take place in my garage, not actually in a field.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Well, I didn't interpret your comment as a criticism. It's good that someone offers that information.
It was just a minor rant of my own about firearms terminology, and I wouldn't have expected a video about field stripping to go into that level of disassembly either.

It is an example, though, of how confused terminology can hinder communications.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47647 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in this link are two videos showing a full detail disassembly and reassembly of a P 232. I found the video very helpful as it appears unedited showing the points where the person had difficulty getting the parts out and back together and how he worked it out. Fortunately, he also gives detailed explanations as he goes along. Unfortunately it's in Spanish, which I don't speak. Still…..

https://www.sigtalk.com/thread...-and-assembly.24523/