SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P220 DAK field strip question ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 DAK field strip question ? Login/Join 
Picture of hi-power man
posted
Are there any do's or don't do's when field stripping a P220 DAK ?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hi-power man,

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Field stripping: No difference than field stripping any other model P220:
Remove magazine
Lock slide to rear
Rotate takedown lever to 6 o’clock position
Release and remove slide
Remove recoil spring and guide from slide
Remove barrel from slide

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
thanks
I could not find any specific instructions for the DAK.

High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.

Posts: 867 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
You're welcome.

When a DA/SA pistol is field stripped, the hammer remains cocked as the slide is removed. With the DAK it will follow the slide part way forward to its normal reset position. Otherwise everything is the same.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47343 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

When a DA/SA pistol is field stripped, the hammer remains cocked as the slide is removed.

With the exception of the pistols that have the short reset trigger. Then the manual states to decock the pistol as the slide reaches its closed position a this will allow the SRT safety lever to completely retract so the slide can be fully removed from the frame.

P220 manual, page 81, Appendix C: SRT supplemental instructions

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Good point, although I thought I remembered that the decock an SRT pistol wasn’t necessary with later versions. Probably remembering wrong, though.

6.4/93.6

— Leo Tolstoy

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Good point, although I thought I remembered that the decock an SRT pistol wasn’t necessary with later versions. Probably remembering wrong, though.

Well, that's also a good point. The manual says do it but I've got a couple of Sigs with the SRT and when cleaning large numbers of gun in one day I've occasionally forgotten to do this and it strips anyway, so you may very well be right. Don't know if it would cause any long term damage doing it without decocking though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post