SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Armorer    P226 40 to 9mm conversion ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P226 40 to 9mm conversion ? Login/Join 
posted
Can a P226 40S&W be converted to 9mm by just changing barrels and mags ? Is a conversion barrel needed or can a standard P226 9mm barrel be used ?

Posts: 199 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: October 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While there are a few posts here indicating success with just using an OEM native 9mm barrel with the P226, I would be inclined to go with a conversion barrel. Some .40 mags/pistols may function OK. some may not. For SD, I'd go with conversion barrel and 9mm mags. Regardless, test the hell out of it before carrying.

I'm not opposed to using the native OEM 9mm barrel on P239 .40's. Mine functions 100% with both .40 and 9 mm mags. Many others have reported the same.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
As stated above, get the conversion barrel. You can do 9 mm and/or 357 sig. Use the appropriate mags and enjoy.

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
I have done so but the mags do not usually lock after the last round.

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Would someone put a caliper on a SIG P226 OEM .40 barrel and a SIG P226 OEM 9 barrel? Please? If an OEM 9mm barrel would fit in a .40 P226 slide, why would SIG sell a 9mm conversion kit that includes a slide?

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The barrel diameter is the same, but the barrel hood is narrower on the 9mm barrel and doesn't lock into the breech block as well as the .40 barrel.

The breech face is wider on a .40 slide than on a 9mm slide which is why Sig sells conversion kits that consist of a barrel and slide.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The breech face is 9mm sized on a 9mm, and 10mm sized on a .40.

Posts: 6659 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Thank you, gentlemen.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Or you could do what I did- source a complete Sig 9mm upper and never worry if there will be fit men issues.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post