Slew Of New Anti-Gun Legislation In Michigan

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/140601935/m/9910087894

February 17, 2023, 10:02 AM
ensigmatic
Slew Of New Anti-Gun Legislation In Michigan
And so it begins: Just received from NRA-ILA:
quote:

Yesterday, anti-gun lawmakers filed bill packages to criminalize private transfers, require firearms be made unavailable for self-defense, and allow Second Amendment rights to be suspended without due process. Please contact your lawmakers and ask them to OPPOSE these gun control schemes.

Senate Bills 76, 77, and 78 further criminalize private transfers of firearms by expanding Michigan’s handgun permit to purchase system to all firearms. Such “universal” background check systems can never be universal, because criminals, by definition, do not comply with the law. These laws are unenforceable without a firearm registry and turn otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals for simply loaning firearms to friends or many family members.

Senate Bills 79, 80, 81, and 82 impose a mandatory storage scheme for firearm owners, not taking into account an individual’s particular situation. Those not storing firearms in compliance face prison time up to 15 years and fines up to $7,500 for unauthorized access by minors. In District of Columbia v. Heller, the U.S. Supreme Court held that storage provisions that prevent a law-abiding American from having ready access to a firearm for self-defense are unconstitutional.

Senate Bills 83, 84, 85, and 86 allow the seizure of an individual’s firearms on baseless accusations, without a hearing or other opportunity for the evidence to be heard in court. They permit the government to seize firearms based on weak and nebulous standards of evidence.

I joined Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners yesterday. It is, I believe, the most effective gun rights organization in Michigan. I urge all Michigan gun owners to join me in joining MCRGO.

Note: MCRGO uses PayPal for credit card processing. You do not need to have a PayPal account for this purpose. They're just using them for a CC processor. (And, yes: They're aware PayPal is not popular among many in the gun-owning community. It's purely a matter of practicality, security, and cost. If you have misgivings, I urge you to consider setting them aside in this case.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
February 17, 2023, 12:41 PM
IrishWind
First of all, I do hope someone asks these politicians how their bill would have stopped the shooting at MSU. Second, I would want someone to ask if the DA and Judge failed to enforce existing laws when he was arrested in 2019, how can the voters expect these laws would work?

I could see an argument for a Red Flag law in that the shooters dad knew he was having issues and was hiding a gun in the house. Plus neighbors were complaining the punk was using the back yard for practice (WTF??? And why wasn't 911 called then???) But for a red flag law to be useful, then there had better be safeguards built in, like 48 or 74 hours after seizure a court hearing to validate the red flag, and civil and criminal penalties for accusers AND government types for any abuse of this law.

Good luck in the fight up there.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!
February 18, 2023, 05:17 AM
sourdough44
With the majority mow, Whitmer plans(said) she’s going all out against guns. They always say they need to ‘do something’, then at the same time support defunding, defanging, and generally destroying police moral.

It’s usually done incrementally, ‘grandfathering’ in allowances where necessary to get something passed. I see plenty of crime in NY, IL, CA & other places with stricter gun laws.

The Dems run the table in MI, the few centrist will not oppose the party position for new restrictions.

That said, I was raised in MI, will go next week snowmobiling in the U.P.. I saw one politician in MI wants to move some wolves to Lower MI. That’s not a bad idea, but it will only hurt sportsmen there. MI will end up with an Elk herd like WI, totally flat on growth.
February 18, 2023, 07:21 AM
sgalczyn
Actions have consequences...........point that out to the sponsors of these bills.................

"No matter where you go - there you are"
February 18, 2023, 06:35 PM
Samps
This week's hysterical reaction in the Michigan legislature recalls the Rahm Emmanuel principle, "Never let a serious crisis go to waste." The MSU shooter violated standing registration, concealed carry and assault statutes in his deadly rampage. I challenge the Democrats sponsoring this week's slate of proposals to explain why law abiding citizens should face felony sanctions for his criminal behavior.
February 19, 2023, 07:15 AM
IrishWind
And yesterday I read an article that a group of armed Black citizens are patrolling Detroit's streets, working with the police to help the keep the streets safe. And the photo in the article showed two men open carrying AR-15s.

Interesting to see Government inaction, waste, and autocratic laws make it so people have to arm themselves to protect their communities. And the Dems want to take away Detroit's response to trying to make their streets safe because the government has failed.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!
February 20, 2023, 03:03 AM
Fly-Sig
No gun control law, even red flag, is acceptable because tyrants design them in order to abuse citizens. So many gun laws appear logical to the well intentioned person, but the real world shows us that governments always abuse any opening we allow.

Due to the nature of humans who seek authority, they are more dangerous to our safety than the random few violent people actually stopped by laws from harming us.
February 22, 2023, 11:39 AM
YooperSigs
Anything that opposes the Evil Queen and her minions I am all for!
Joined MCRGO today!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
February 22, 2023, 10:57 PM
Samps
I signed up with MCRGO (thanks, ensigmatic), last weekend. Whitmer and her legislative majority were elected on the strength of an abortion referendum, this past fall. Republicans were largely pro-life and could not overcome the issue, despite the State's failing economy and Whitmer's mishandling of covid.
March 09, 2023, 07:31 AM
shovelhead
Apparently many of the Democratic majority have not paid attention to history. Michigan’s 1927 handgun registration was placed in response to the case involving Dr. Ossian Sweet in limiting Blacks access to handgun ownership.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)
March 13, 2023, 04:59 PM
Pal
I just saw an article that said some of the laws New Mexico wanted to pass may not get anywhere because of Supreme Court Rulings. Any chance of hat working here? Also saw another article that said many counties are becoming 2a sanctuaries. I don't know how much of an effect this will have other than expressing our will.

Jim
March 13, 2023, 08:16 PM
Samps
The avalanche of Democrat gun bills was predictable. So-called, "safe storage" legislation will be passed by the slim majority. These laws will turn law-abiding gun owners into felons should guns be stolen from their homes and subsequently used in crimes. The reckless Dems are also pursuing gun dealers and manufacturers for civil liability when weapons are criminally misused. Michigan CPL holders can expect extreme "Gun Free" zone restrictions to make carrying in many public places illegal. The Whitmer administration is a disgrace, blind to the rights guaranteed in our Second Amendment.
March 14, 2023, 07:37 PM
Rightwire
This is not unexpected with Whitmer in Lansing. These are draconian at the least and seem to fly in the face of recent SCOTUS rulings from my understanding.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.
March 15, 2023, 07:59 PM
NOCkid
So today Whitmer says "Gun violence is the leading cause of death in this country" and no calls her out on it-WTF?

Guess she's unfamiliar with cardiac disease, cancer, CVAs, MVAs, and a host of other causes of death.
March 15, 2023, 08:35 PM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:
So today Whitmer says "Gun violence is the leading cause of death in this country" and no calls her out on it-WTF?
You mean no one in the "news?" The nearly universally left-oriented "journalists" that wouldn't know real journalism if it came up and bit 'em on the ass? Them?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
March 15, 2023, 09:50 PM
Samps
As I understand the proposed "safe Storage" bill, firearms must be unloaded with a trigger lock in place, or secured in an appropriately designed locking box, whenever minors live in, or visit a household. This precludes keeping a loaded weapon concealed in a bedroom or designated location, despite any training and education provided to family members. The State's intrusion into my household is unwelcome and likely unconstitutional.
March 15, 2023, 10:02 PM
Appliance Brad
quote:
Originally posted by NOCkid:

My wife trolls Witchmer's social media on a regular basis.

March 15, 2023, 11:32 PM
grumpy1
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
I just saw an article that said some of the laws New Mexico wanted to pass may not get anywhere because of Supreme Court Rulings. Any chance of hat working here? Also saw another article that said many counties are becoming 2a sanctuaries. I don't know how much of an effect this will have other than expressing our will.

Jim

Sure there is a chance. We just got AWB and magazine ban in Illinois 01/10/23 that took only 72 hours prom being proposed to in effect law. Roll Eyes

Several lawsuits have been filed already. However all eyes are on California as Judge Benitez is going to be releasing his ruling on multiple Second Amendment cases including AWB and magazine ban any day now. Of course any favorable decisions will most likely be appealed to the 9th circuit court which will be very interesting to see what happens on what they do with the Bruen scrutiny standard of text/tradition/history. 2023 is going to be an interesting and pivotal year for our Second Amendment Rights. See below for more details on the Judge Benitez cases and skip to about 8:30 if you just want to hear about the 9th circuit details.