SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Biden announces Anti-Ghost Gun/New Receiver Definition/Armbrace->Form 4 SBR's
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Biden announces Anti-Ghost Gun/New Receiver Definition/Armbrace->Form 4 SBR's Login/Join 
Picture of Austin228
posted
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...-firearm-definitions

https://www.whitehouse.gov/bri...nforce-our-gun-laws/

"Congress needs to do its job by passing this budget and other essential legislation to reduce gun crime, including legislation to require background checks for all gun sales, ensure that no terrorist can buy a weapon in the United States, ban the sale and possession of unserialized firearms — ghost guns, ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and repeal gun manufacturers’ protection from liability."

OK, so I'm trying to make sense of all the changes with "split receivers" and this ghost guns business, anyone have a regular mans interpretation of all of this?

1. Does it effect more than just polymer80 kits and AR jigging or whatnot?

2. Does it make items like a barrel become a "firearm" as far as ordering parts and such for an aging weapon or a conversion kit etc.

3. Anything else you can discern from this.

4.I'm adding in the issues of the changing of the definition of "firearm" due to "split receiver" issues the ATF had determined about a year ago coming into effect as well recently.

5. Also is everyone aware as of 8/4/2022 all braced pistols to have an approved Form 4? or take "other measures" to disable the brace (this was another ATF issue that was requesting feedback last year or so and is being implemented)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1470 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure this is going to be found Unconstitutional if anyone cares to take it to the Supreme Court.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I'm pretty sure this is going to be found Unconstitutional if anyone cares to take it to the Supreme Court.

Why are you sure of that?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
For someone not into the whole ghost gun scene, does this EO affect the folks who already built one? Do they have to now register it, or how's that gonna work?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...-firearm-definitions

https://www.whitehouse.gov/bri...nforce-our-gun-laws/

"Congress needs to do its job by passing this budget and other essential legislation to reduce gun crime, including legislation to require background checks for all gun sales, ensure that no terrorist can buy a weapon in the United States, ban the sale and possession of unserialized firearms — ghost guns, ban assault weapons and high-capacity magazines, and repeal gun manufacturers’ protection from liability."

OK, so I'm trying to make sense of all the changes with "split receivers" and this ghost guns business, anyone have a regular mans interpretation of all of this?

1. Does it effect more than just polymer80 kits and AR jigging or whatnot?

2. Does it make items like a barrel become a "firearm" as far as ordering parts and such for an aging weapon or a conversion kit etc.

3. Anything else you can discern from this.

4.I'm adding in the issues of the changing of the definition of "firearm" due to "split receiver" issues the ATF had determined about a year ago coming into effect as well recently.

5. Also is everyone aware as of 8/4/2022 all braced pistols to have an approved Form 4? or take "other measures" to disable the brace (this was another ATF issue that was requesting feedback last year or so and is being implemented)

My best read (and definitely not an official one) based on https://www.atf.gov/firearms/d...ntification/download is:

1) It depends on if you mean "what it is" or "who it affects". Anything that is a kit that can be readily made into a firearm (but not liquid polymers or blocks of material) will be a firearm once it enters interstate commerce, so commercial manufacturers of kits will be impacted but I don't see a significant impact for people milling a 0% or using existing kits.

2) Some firearms designs are serialized that way (e.g. Ruger Mark I) so yes to those. Otherwise, no. Parts kits where there is no frame/receiver are specifically excluded also. (I believe this means that surplus/demilled kits like Uzi, AK, et al aren't included in the rule.)

3) It really doesn't change very much unless you are a company making and selling kits.

4) This is providing a definition for what the receiver is because federal law never had one. All current designs stay the way they are. New designs serialize the part that parts like the FCU or the barrel fit into. No real change here either.

5) I don't find this in the rule.

(It's actually not as bad a read as I expected, but 364 pages is still 364 pages...)

Please support the SF "Help Mike!" campaign to raise legal fees for a 72 year old Texas teacher and hobby rancher who had 6 forgotten 9mm rounds in his checked luggage leaving T&C and faced 12 years in prison and $50k legal fees at https://fundrazr.com/b2KZgc.

Posts: 2023 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post