SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Stock Photo For Gun Buyback Articles
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Photo For Gun Buyback Articles Login/Join 
posted

The above photo is a stock photo that is used with various articles regarding Chicago gun buyback programs. The photo seems to be from 2018 but is being reused in current articles.

Am I mistaken, or are the "guns" shown actually pellet guns? I believe the gun on the left is actually a vintage Crossman 1010 Marksman BB gun.

Am i mistaken?

Posts: 1 | Registered: August 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Your image is broken. Here's a corrected embed.

And yes, that's a Crossman 1010 pellet gun on the left. Actually two, with a second one in the next layer down just above it.

The revolvers all appear to be pellet guns and cap guns as well.

Some gun buybacks will also accept realistic-looking pellet/BB/cap guns, usually offering a reduced amount for those compared to a "real" gun, since a realistic-looking toy gun can still be used to commit crimes.

So someone likely snapped a picture of the "BB gun" bin at a buyback event years ago, and it's been reused over the years as a generic "gun buyback" stock photo by journalists who don't know enough or care enough to realize the photo consists entirely of fake guns.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Gun Buyback Bin of Misfit Toys... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
The Marksman ".45" BB pistol is probably associated with more deaths of offenders than any real firearm. Morons routinely use these to commit armed robbery and get their asses shot while pulling them from their waistband to discard the evidence, or by brandishing them in an attempt to scare off cops that are pursuing the offender on foot. Stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

Even though shooting these cheap "springers" at crime victims couldn't usually do much harm, the fact they can be used to BLUDGEON innocent persons DOES make these a "deadly weapon" in the eyes of the law. Any surviving fool using one to commit robbery or another felony, will usually face an enhancement for being "personally armed at the time of the offense", as well should be the case.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we had a rash of incidents back when I first started with scrotes using this cheap but realistic-looking airsoft pistol that was sold at Walmart at the time to commit armed robberies, or just stupid kids running around with it and causing alarm. It looked like a chrome/nickel Beretta 92, and was extremely realistic. No orange tip either.

That model was pulled from shelves in the early-to-mid 2000s, thank God.

Basically like this one:

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post