SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Florida: Too many Rinos Killing Open Carry
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida: Too many Rinos Killing Open Carry Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Cm'on Florida, you can do better. Confused

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Probably get my butt handed to me, but I'm just not sold on open carry, probably because I'd never do it, prefer to keep it concealed, FL changed the laws on printing so it's not an issue anymore.

But, I get why some do, but then you get the idiots that show up at starbucks to make a tictok video for clicks with their rifles, camo, molly that don't help IMO the cause.

Even if it passed, Doubt I'd do it...

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not the point, it just needs to be a choice.

We have it in Texas and I don't recall seeing anyone open carrying.
So the Starbuck-tik-tockers with AR is about as rare as winning the lottery.
The only time I do is when I walk my dog and I do usually try to vaguely conceal it when I can.
In fact I don't think anyone even notices when I carry.
I fully understand and support the tactical reason for not open carrying.

Posts: 23171 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You can thank Janet Reno for Florida’s ban on open carry. And yes, that Janet Reno, who was the Miami-Dade State Attorney in 1987.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would a lawsuit referencing Bruen tend to quash open carry restrictions? Does anyone know if it was more common than concealed during the 19th century?

Posts: 1219 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not an open carry fan and like Florida's gun laws just as they are.

I would not be likely to carry openly even if the laws change because I don't want anyone to notice me, just want 'em to figger I'm another old man, harmless as a puppy.

I knew Janet Reno, but don't recall how she altered our laws or somehow precluded open carry here.

Bob

Posts: 1670 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I'm not an open carry fan and like Florida's gun laws just as they are.

... blah blah blah

I'm glad you are so content.

I don't like any gun laws just the way they are.

Fucking tyrants. They can eat shit.

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
I think one of the biggest issues we would have in Florida with open carry would be the number of tourist, not only from the United States but also from outside the United States that visit.

I think the 911 system would be overwhelmed with calls from people who did not understand our gun laws telling dispatchers "I saw someone with a gun".

At that point they would have to dispatch an officer to make sure everything was okay even though it might only be someone legally open carrying if it was to become Florida law.

It would be nice to have the option, however for me I would most likely not open carry because no one need to know if I was carrying.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2632 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

The only time I do is when I walk my dog and I do usually try to vaguely conceal it when I can.

IIRC, a lot of the TX proponents were that it also eliminated the brandishing bit, if your CCW happened to become unconcealed.

I've done OC a few times, typically when down at the ranch for dove/deer season & we go into town.
OC is the preferred around the ranch & just don't both to swap holsters if we go into town.

Our camphouse is about a 2 mile straight shot to the MX border, with Lake Falcon in the way.
Lots of BP around down there, no one really bats an eye at an OC pistol.

In my normal day to daw, concealed IWB for me.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I would not open carry in public, but I am totally in favor of removing the restriction.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
I think one of the biggest issues we would have in Florida with open carry would be the number of tourist, not only from the United States but also from outside the United States that visit.

I think the 911 system would be overwhelmed with calls from people who did not understand our gun laws telling dispatchers "I saw someone with a gun".

At that point they would have to dispatch an officer to make sure everything was okay even though it might only be someone legally open carrying if it was to become Florida law.

It would be nice to have the option, however for me I would most likely not open carry because no one need to know if I was carrying.

This is pretty much it, right here. No one in Daytona, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, or the gulf coast vacation towns wants open carry. Not because bunches of people, and even legislators in those areas aren't gun people, but rather as is stated here, the tourist "man with a gun" calls would be endless.

Note that open carry is available in limited circumstances such as if you are at home or your place of business, or are engaged in or traveling to / from fishing, camping, hunting, or test / target shooting.

For the first time looking at this, I have also noted that some are now saying, due to a close reading of the wording of the statute, particluarly "your" and "home" that it is illegal for your guests to open carry at your home or place of business, and it is illegal for you to open carry on a piece of property you own, that is not your "home" or "place of business". This seems to fly in the face of the express intent of the legislature, but technically it appears to be true.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12910 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Open carry is legal here too, with the usual exceptions for schools, courthouses and so on. I never see anybody doing it, but I agree it should be an option. The only time I would do it is when I'm out tooling around in snake or bear/cougar country. I keep it concealed at all other times.

Posts: 7387 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:

This is pretty much it, right here. No one in Daytona, Orlando, Miami, Tampa, or the gulf coast vacation towns wants open carry. Not because bunches of people, and even legislators in those areas aren't gun people, but rather as is stated here, the tourist "man with a gun" calls would be endless.

Note that open carry is available in limited circumstances such as if you are at home or your place of business, or are engaged in or traveling to / from fishing, camping, hunting, or test / target shooting.

For the first time looking at this, I have also noted that some are now saying, due to a close reading of the wording of the statute, particluarly "your" and "home" that it is illegal for your guests to open carry at your home or place of business, and it is illegal for you to open carry on a piece of property you own, that is not your "home" or "place of business". This seems to fly in the face of the express intent of the legislature, but technically it appears to be true.

I'd be curious if there was an uptick of 'man with a gun' calls here in TX when OC was legalized.
Not nearly as touritsy as a lot of FL, and I don't really see many OC in my area of Houston.

Mostly see it with any frequency as you get much further south toward the MX border area.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15949 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Bullshit.

I live in a very heavy tourist destination and I see OC regularly here.

It's not an issue, and you sound hysterical for saying tourists would constantly call the police.

Hysterical nonsense.

Posts: 5224 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

IIRC, a lot of the TX proponents were that it also eliminated the brandishing bit, if your CCW happened to become unconcealed.

This why I consider legal open carry important; at times I will carry OWB, and occasionally will print a little bit, or unconceal briefly. The only times I will carry open is when I'm at my friends ranch and will occasionally wear a single action revolver in a cowboy holster system.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Smschulz is spot on. I remember a photograph of a group of armed family men guarding an entrance into their neighborhood during the New Orleans looting after the big Hurricane devastation. They were happily standing guard with a big sign saying something like "we're drinking beer, we're fully armed, and we will shoot first before asking questions". That is an excellent example of having the choice. I couldn't find the picture on the net, but that photo sums it up as best as anyone could possibly explain it. Picture a group of a dozen or so family men, fully loaded rifles slung over their shoulders, pistols on their hips, and you'll instantly understand. Without those guys, their women and children would have been raped, their houses robbed, and some would have been murdered. So how much more stressful would have it been for you if you were in their shoes when it was already against the law to be openly carrying ? It has nothing to do with the tactical considerations of CC. Give me a break.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoctorSolo:
Bullshit.

I live in a very heavy tourist destination and I see OC regularly here.

It's not an issue, and you sound hysterical for saying tourists would constantly call the police.

Hysterical nonsense.

I stepped away from this post for a while following other things going on in the world.

I have to respectfully disagree with " It's not an issue, and you sound hysterical for saying tourists would constantly call the police."

I see you live in Colorado Springs, my guess is most of the people visiting there are from the United States who may under stand our gun culture more than a foreigner, although I could be wrong having never visiting there.

Living in central Florida we see a lot of tourist not only from the United States but we see tourist from all around the world. In 2023 over 6,000,000 international visitors came to the central Florida area.
They come from parts of the world where gun ownership is not aloud at all or very strictly regulated as to who can own them.

We also had around 67,000,000 domestic visitors to the central Florida area. Some come from states where firearms ownership and the ability to obtain a carry permit are very difficult if not almost impossible.

The state of Florida in 2023 also saw approximately 140,000,000 visitors in total. Of those over 11,000,000 in total were from outside the United States.
So my guess there are a lot of people, mostly foreign tourist who are not going to know or understand our gun laws in Florida.

Over the last almost 25 years living here and talking to a lot of people from outside the united states they are very surprised at our ability to own firearms and have the ability to carry firearms. Most did not know or understand the freedoms we have in that regard.

A lot of the foreign visitors just in the central Florida area do not just stay inside the theme park bubble, they visit all around the state after visiting the parks. If they see someone with a gun in my opinion they would be more inclined to call the police than not, you know "if you see something say something" that everyone has been told for years.

Now imagine if people, even a small percentage of people through out the state of Florida did this. The 911 system would be overwhelmed with calls tying up law enforcement officers tracking down every call instead of responding to emergency calls.

As far as I am concerned I would like to have the option to open carry however I most likely would never do it.

No one needs to know I am carrying a firearm.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2632 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I live in the Florida Panhandle area and have my CCW. Like others, I also would like to have the option to open carry.

On July 1, 2023 Florida "Constitutional Carry" began and allows FL residents 21 or older that can legally own a firearm the ability to conceal carry without a permit.

What most Florida residents do not know, due to FL Constitutional Carry, is that now you must notify law enforcement ASAP that you have a weapon in the vehicle if pulled over for any traffic stop.

Posts: 93 | Location: Crawfordville | Registered: October 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinbot1966:
FWIW, I live in the Florida Panhandle area and have my CCW. Like others, I also would like to have the option to open carry.

On July 1, 2023 Florida "Constitutional Carry" began and allows FL residents 21 or older that can legally own a firearm the ability to conceal carry without a permit.

What most Florida residents do not know, due to FL Constitutional Carry, is that now you must notify law enforcement ASAP that you have a weapon in the vehicle if pulled over for any traffic stop.

I looked in the 790 statute and did not see where that was listed. Is this part of a new law and if so where was the statute regarding this because could not find it.

Is it all persons or possibly only those without a permit?

NRA Life Member

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Colorado Springs gets quite a few tourists 24 million in 2023, but Florida gets 141 million a year. Not sure that governments not wanting tons of calls on firearms exposed while carry is the real reason, but, I'm sure the "we don't want to scare off tourists" has been used by someone as a reason.

The "open carry fixes printing while concealed" isn't an issue here, legislation was passed that fixed that problem, you print, no problem in Florida.

We also had permitless concealed carry passed as well last year.

And our laws don't let leftist local politicians write up anti gun laws in their jurisdiction either, so no Miami 30 day waiting period, or different carry laws in Tampa than elsewhere.

I'd say FL gun laws are some of the best in the nation, even if open carry isn't on the books.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post