SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    AR Pistol Classification
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR Pistol Classification Login/Join 
Picture of BradleyS
posted
So I guess I have been out of the loop. My Son advised me that AR pistols are now classified by the ATF as short barrel rifles. I googled the topic and read the ATF ruling and do not understand the government rhetoric.
I was considering selling my IWI Tavor and purchasing an IWI Z15Tac12. Does anyone have a clear understanding on the classification of the AR pistol ?
I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An AR pistol is still a pistol and legal. An AR pistol with a brace is an SBR and needs to be registered under the NFA (Form 1). The key element is having a brace installed on a pistol. No brace, no problem. Also, braces themselves aren’t illegal.

The grace period to either submit a Form 1 or permanently remove the brace expired at the end of May.

Have you read the FAQ?

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/final-rule-2021r-08f

Regarding the IWI Z15tac12, it looks like IWI is only selling it as a SBR with a stock. If you find an older one that originally as a pistol, it will likely have had any brace removed and just have a bare buffer tube.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the reply.
I think I will forgo an AR pistol and return to a carbine.

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post