SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Illinois HB5855 AWB and magazine ban, 7th Circuit Court upholds ban 2-1, 11/03/23, full "en banc" DENIED 12/11/23, SCOTUS denies injunction 12/14/23
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Illinois HB5855 AWB and magazine ban, 7th Circuit Court upholds ban 2-1, 11/03/23, full "en banc" DENIED 12/11/23, SCOTUS denies injunction 12/14/23 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
?How are the legislators getting around the illegality of ex post facto law. IF you ALREADY OWN “large capacity mags”, ?how can a government make such illegal.

Posts: 75 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: August 30, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Devereaux:
?How are the legislators getting around the illegality of ex post facto law. IF you ALREADY OWN “large capacity mags”, ?how can a government make such illegal.

We can keep what we have but can't buy any more from stores in Illinois. We can use them on our property, other private property where the owner allows such, and at gun ranges. We can't transport them in the same case as the firearm however as they must be in separate case.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Illinois AWB has been appealed to Amy Coney Barret at SCOTUS for consideration of injunction and she is asking the state and Naperville for their reasoning as to why they believe the law is Constitutional. According to Mark Smith at Four Boxes Diner there is probably a small chance that she will do any injunction but not because she believes the state and Naperville's arguments but that it usually never happens before a case has been ruled on and the 7th Circuit has not done such yet. At least she may prod them to speed things up. This is all about stalling efforts in hopes that by the time the case (or any AWB/magazine case) get's to SCOTUS there will be a different makeup of Justices. Right now there is a huge unprecedented abuse of power push by democrats to try and force resignations of Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito ignoring the whole separation of powers standard in our government in their pathetic attempt of "show me the man and I'll show you the crime" witch hunt.

https://www.reuters.com/world/...ubpoenas-2023-11-30/

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
7th Circuit Court denies request to hear Naperville/Illinois AWB "en banc" by reviewing with all the judges instead of just the three judge panel. Is there a silver lining to this? Possibly at SCOTUS.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
This constant “Breaking News” is as idiotic as gun control itself. Click Bait at its finest.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
SCOTUS denies injunction pending appeal in Bevis vs Naperville Illinois AWB. Todd Vandermyde explains in his video below. Again they just denied an injunction and that does not mean they agree with the state of Illinois. Todd V said there were no dissents in the denial of injunction, unlike last time where Thomas and Alito did such, which he opines may mean the possibility of SCOTUS granting cert for an AWB case next year probably being Maryland or California he explains.

Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
What are we up to for folks that have registered firearms? About 1%?

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:

Not a lot. No one knows for sure what percentage of FOID card holders own "banned weapons and devices" but compliance rate any way you cut it is extremely low. William Kirk ran the numbers a few days ago. There are 2,415,481 FOID holders and 6141 individuals have registered an average of about 3 items each.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Still less than .4%!
FUCK THIS STATE!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
Was talking to some older friends who don't spend much if any time on the web, and they had no idea about our new rules. Shouldn't IL be sending all FOID holders a notice, and instructions for the "registration" - there are most likely thousands or more that don't know.

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was talking to some older friends who don't spend much if any time on the web, and they had no idea about our new rules. Shouldn't IL be sending all FOID holders a notice, and instructions for the "registration" - there are most likely thousands or more that don't know.

You would think so as I would not be surprised if the vast majority did not have a clue about this.

Also Illinois has not even finalized the registration rules and their next meeting is Jan 16, 2024 to discuss it some more while registration deadline is Dec 31, 2023. How is it that some judge has not put a hold on this yet for that very reason?

I would bet that those who are charged and found guilty even of misdemeanor for not registering will have their FOID revoked with Il State Police showing up at their door to confiscate their weapons

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

Still less than .4%!
FUCK THIS STATE!

Don’t know I’d go tap dancing just yet. Was in my LGS today. He has stacks of ARs that he’s bought since Christmas Day. This week he’s purchased over 40 ARs and 40 other “prohibited” weapons from Illinois residents.

Most of it is lower end junk, but they was a few really nice guns. Old Chinese SKS, pristine Ruger Mini 14 GB with folder, SPAS 12 to name a few.

Guess lots of people are complying in other ways.

Edited to correct numbers. I misunderstood 80 and 40, but actually 40 and 40

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jljones,

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Well the final number supposedly was that 1.2 percent of FOID holders registered something by end of 2023 FWIW.

I go an email today from Illinois State Rifle Association with the tidbit below FWIW. I would think that the message about ISP pursuing charges should probably be interpreted as "for now", after all the rules have not even been finalized yet. Roll Eyes

"Illinois State Police Won't Pursue Charges for Unregistered Guns. With under 2% of the FOID card holders registering firearms with the Illinois State Police (ISP), the ISP has announced it will not pursue charges for unregistered guns. The portal reportedly will remain open so people can still register them. For most gun owners in Illinois their act of civil disobedience is sending a message and likely won’t actually result in prosecution. Of course, we hope we will win in our suit at the U.S. Supreme Court!"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:

"...Illinois State Police Won't Pursue Charges for Unregistered Guns. With under 2% of the FOID card holders registering firearms with the Illinois State Police (ISP), the ISP has announced it will not pursue charges for unregistered guns. ...

That's good news for me. I live in IA and own "multiple" ARs, but my range is across the Mississippi in occupied IL. I'm good, at least for now.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I would suggest reading the ISP FAQ regarding the AWB law and be sure to keep any banned magazines separate from your firearms and unloaded.

https://www.isp.illinois.gov/Home/AssaultWeapons

"Any nonresident who transports, within 24 hours, a weapon for any lawful purpose from any place where the nonresident may lawfully possess and carry that weapon to any other place where the nonresident may lawfully possess and carry that weapon if, during the transportation, the weapon is unloaded, and neither the weapon nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the transporting vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment outside of the driver’s compartment, the weapon or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I would suggest reading the ISP FAQ regarding the AWB law and be sure to keep any banned magazines separate from your firearms and unloaded.

https://www.isp.illinois.gov/Home/AssaultWeapons

"...If the vehicle does not have a compartment outside of the driver’s compartment, the weapon or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Great info, thanks. I have a Honda CRV which does NOT have a locked compartment. I put the ARs way in back anyhow, but I guess I now need to carry the mags locked in something like this.

https://www.brownells.com/gear...rifle-magazine-cans/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Now they are trying to bribe locals to enforce and confiscate: Frown

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
I don't know why anyone is registering their weapons. This is the state with cashless bail, and non detainable offenses. Next to impossible to enforce. Didn't representatives of the ISP just say there's no way for an officer to know what firearms have been registered? The LEADS/NCIC system would only display firearms HAD been registered, but not list what those firearms are. Pritzker got this law passed knowing damn well it will ultimately fail, but it gets him on the books for his impending presidential run

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
As far as registering I think a lot depends on where one lives and if they still plan on shooting their "banned" weapon at public ranges.

I am in that category and registered my only "banned" rifle as I still want to shoot it and don't want to run afoul of the law if some LEO does a "compliance" check at the local range. Seeing as how I have to have a FOID card in Illinois to legally own any firearms or ammo I don't want to risk that because I was found to have an unregistered banned item. Supposedly they are supposed to update FOID cards to show if one owns a "banned" item so it could be pretty easy down the road for someone to do a compliance check. Heck they may put that burden on the gun range itself. I just don't want to have any legal hassles. I am 72 and in good health but if something does happen to me I don't want to put dear wife at legal risk either if something does happen to me. On top of that all the FFLs have been notified not to transfer (to out of state buyer) any "banned" weapons if they have not been registered. Sadly it looks like it could be years yet before any of these blue state AWB get resolved at SCOTUS if ever.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The more that comply the more they will keep moving the goal posts back.
quote:
registered my only "banned" rifle as I still want to shoot it and don't want to run afoul of the law
I guess your "God given rights" are only ok if it pleases the crown, huh?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post