SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Senate Democrats Introduce Bill Requiring A Federal Firearms License To Buy And Own A Gun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Senate Democrats Introduce Bill Requiring A Federal Firearms License To Buy And Own A Gun Login/Join 
posted
A few months before the midterms. Hope this gets spread far and wide.

https://www.dailywire.com/news...to-buy-and-own-a-gun

Democratic Senators have introduced new gun control legislation that would, among other things, institute a federal license requirement to buy a gun.

Democratic New Jersey Senators Bod Menendez and Cory Booker, and Connecticut Senator Richard Blumenthal introduced the “Federal Firearm Licensing Act” Thursday. The bill would institute a requirement for gun purchasers to obtain a firearms license through the Department of Justice before buying or receiving a gun.

The text of the bill states in part:

[It] shall be unlawful for any individual to purchase or receive a firearm unless the individual has a valid Federal firearm license.

The bill then outlines the procedure for establishing the license under the Department of Justice, directing the attorney general to establish a system for issuing them. In order to be eligible to obtain the license itself, a prospective licensee must first complete a firearms safety course, which includes “a written test, to demonstrate knowledge of applicable firearms laws; and hands-on testing, including firing testing, to demonstrate safe use and sufficient accuracy of a firearm.” After that, the licensee must pass a federal background check and a criminal history; submit proof of identification; fingerprints; and information about the firearm the licensee intends to buy or obtain, including “make, model, and serial number, and the identity of the firearm seller or transferor.”

As Booker noted in a press release, the federal background check and ID check would require the licensee to be at least 21 years old, effectively raising the legal age of gun ownership to 21.

Under the law, the attorney general would have to approve or deny applications within 30 days, and notify state and local officials of every application. If approved, licenses would be made available at a “designated local office.” Each individual license would be valid to buy one firearm, to be purchased within 30 days of issuance. The licenses would expire five years after the issuance date. The law would also allow the attorney general to deny or revoke the license of anyone he deems “poses a significant danger of bodily injury to self or others by possessing, purchasing, or receiving a firearm.” The bill also includes a provision in which the law would not apply in states that have licensing processes “with substantially similar requirements.”

In addition, the bill makes it illegal to transfer a gun to any person without first being transferred to a licensed importer, manufacturer, or dealer. It also makes it illegal to sell or transfer a gun to an unlicensed person.

In the Thursday press release, the three senators cited the mass shooting in Buffalo last weekend as the reason for pushing the legislation. A gunman killed 10 people and wounded three others at a grocery store in the city Saturday, allegedly targeting the store because of racial animus, as The Daily Wire reported. “This is the moment to enact ambitious legislation – as a nation, we must rise to it, or we are fated to witness the deadly scenes of this past weekend and years past over again,” said Booker.

“We have a moral obligation to prevent these senseless massacres in our schools, supermarkets, places of worship and shopping malls that are tearing communities and families apart,” added Menendez, calling on Republicans to pass the bill.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
submit proof of identification

But I thought this was extremely discriminatory hence the reason we can’t require them to vote?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25334 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
submit proof of identification

But I thought this was extremely discriminatory hence the reason we can’t require them to vote?

Good call; This must be a racist bill to suppress minority, LGBTQ, and POC people from taking advantage of their 2nd Amendment rights. Sounds like another Jim Crow bill the Democrats have historically passed.

Posts: 12546 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
The ability for these morons to understand the consequences beyond a 2nd grade level is mind boggling. If a bill such as this passed the constitutional challenges it would completely undermine the voter ID charges of racism as stated above. This bill is ludicrous. What other rights require a license?

I believe we are at the tipping point of our country picking its direction forward. The left has pressed too hard. I’m still trying to wrap my head around how fast people of this country surrendered freedoms during the pandemic. The question I haven’t an answer for is whether or not the sleeping giant has awoken.

Posts: 2928 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are all lighting their torches on guns this morning.

I lived in CT during the Sandy Hook shooting. Legislature passed all kinds of gun laws, admitting that none of them would have stopped the shooting.

Posts: 1651 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Democratic New Jersey Senators Bod Menendez and Cory Booker

Two of the most corrupt in the country. Menendez likes to play with underage girls. Booker scammed the state since day one with his "homeboy" act while growing up in the most afflient town in the state.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post