SIGforum
ATF Scrutiny Leading to FFL Paranoia?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/140601935/m/4420016594

October 19, 2022, 10:10 AM
smschulz
ATF Scrutiny Leading to FFL Paranoia?
{sort of a rant}
About six months ago I saw a Mega AR Billet set come up at a local dealer here in Houston.
I always liked Mega and have used them, so I thought I'd just get for a future build.
They have a large Internet presence too and most all of you have heard of them, but I will not mention them by name.

It wasn't my first purchase from this company non-FFL or FFL related.

Placed an order online and went to pick up.
Got there, gave order and CHL then to fill out the 4473.

THEN the problem ....

The issue was for them that my CHL and DL does not have the nomenclature "Drive" or "Dr." appended to the address.
For as long as me and the wife have lived here (1983) we always used just the street name without "Dr" on the end ~ interchangeably.

However, I did append "Dr." on my address on the 4473.
Like I said we always referred interchangeably.

Started to give me a hard time and wanted me to drive home for a utility bill, etc.... blah blah.
I politely canceled the order - can't argue with stupid .
You would think with the Internet there would be a plethora of ways to verify an address.
Came back a couple months later (it was even cheaper by almost $100 Cool) and learned from my mistake and everything went through fine.

While I was annoyed no doubt but not mad and knew there was no benefit of making a big deal.
I surmise they are under intense ATF pressure.

Live and learn. Eek
October 19, 2022, 12:14 PM
iron chef
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

They are, and your anecdote doesn't surprise me. In your case, unless the FFL had submitted the 4473 already, I don't know why they didn't have you fill out a corrected form.

I once signed and dated a 4473 using date format 'Oct 19, 2022'. After proofreading it, the FFL tossed it and told me to refill a new 4473 using date format '10/19/2022', b/c that's the only date format ATF will accept.

FFLs I've spoken to have told me ATF auditors look for the minute, inconsequential discrepancies to fine FFLs. Auditors will take issue w/ 'Dr' vs 'Drive', 'TX' vs 'Texas', etc if the info on a DL and 4473 don't match up exactly.
October 19, 2022, 01:00 PM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

They are .... I don't know why they didn't have you fill out a corrected form.

.... look for the minute, inconsequential discrepancies to fine FFLs.

Yeah they wouldn't let me correct or even come back soon.
So I waited a while and tried again and at also benefited from a lower price.
It wasn't an emergency for to have right away so patience paid off.
November 07, 2022, 10:23 PM
wrightd
I just filled out a form to renew my cc permit. The rqts were so detailed they made a long video how to fill it out, including where to put dots and "none" and all kinds of shit like that. If I hadn't watched the video I would have wasted the $50 fee. Good lord. I don't get that mentality, except, "we are bureaucrats and our job success is directly proportional to your personal inconvenience and the most insanity we can lay on you at any time".

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
November 08, 2022, 12:02 PM
TGA
My apartment number crossed into the next line on the form. They (unnamed)waited 2 days to call me in to append. This is happening all over
November 09, 2022, 09:41 PM
wrightd
Appears many jurisdictions will do everything they can to prevent issuance. SOP for some areas. Sometimes they just say no, without any reason given, just because they can or think so.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster
December 11, 2022, 07:25 AM
Blume9mm
I suspect it has nothing to do with the ATF but was an employee who's only previous job was hall monitor in high school

Then I've never had my FFL call in or what ever a background check when I bought or transferred a gun with them.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
December 11, 2022, 04:47 PM
smschulz
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I suspect it has nothing to do with the ATF but was an employee who's only previous job was hall monitor in high school

Then I've never had my FFL call in or what ever a background check when I bought or transferred a gun with them.

If you are referring to my encounter - I could sense a real paranoia vibe.

Additionally, they would make a point to out loud verbally ask everyone "Is this for you?".

Pretty sure it wasn't someone just trying to play big-wig at the company but more like the actual big-wigs have scared the employees and the employees are passing this down.

Eek
December 19, 2022, 08:28 AM
kidcop
It’s not complicated.
Be accurate
Be precise
Don’t abbreviate
Be legible
December 25, 2022, 01:13 PM
SIGguy229
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
It’s not complicated.
Be accurate
Be precise
Don’t abbreviate
Be legible

No…it’s fucking petty. The IRS doesn’t give a shit whether it’s Rd or Road…but the ATF can ruin businesses over bullshit like this? They don’t hold themselves to the same high, impossible, petty standard. And even if they did, the rest of the government doesn’t care
December 27, 2022, 04:26 PM
iron chef
If you had any doubt about ATF scrutiny and FFL paranoia, it should be answered by the revised Form 4473 getting ready to take effect Apr 2023. It has new questions worded in ways that seem to serve no other purpose than to confuse the applicant into checking the wrong box.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/a...ion-record-revisions