SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Gun Control Discussion    Options for out of state resident going to Wa. State
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Options for out of state resident going to Wa. State Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
What are the best options for traveling to Wa. regarding self defense. My state does not have an agreement for ccw. Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19159 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Washington doesn't allow Constitutional Carry, nor do they allow carrying a loaded gun in any vehicle of any sort without a permit.

They do allow open carry with limitations however.

I was under the impression that Washington State either had reciprocity with or recognized virtually all other states' permits. Am I wrong?

https://www.go2kennewick.com/F...0must%20be%20removed.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
According to handgunlaw.us, WA honors permits from the following states:

Idaho, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota & Utah

Detailed info here --> https://handgunlaw.us/states/washington.pdf

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8867 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
As I said, not in a state that Wa. has reciprocity with. So need info on options. I do not need to carry necessarily, but having something accessible while there would be nice.

posted Hide Post
Best advice would be to get a non-resident UTAH permit.

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 812 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
might an idea. How'w does one get that is not a Ut. resident?

posted Hide Post
Try this link.

go here

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So I am told that Wa. will issue a non-resident CCW permit. Any knowledge or info on this? I understand the bit about having a ccw in the car. Which is dumb, but I understand the ruling.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So I am told that Wa. will issue a non-resident CCW permit. Any knowledge or info on this? I understand the bit about having a ccw in the car. Which is dumb, but I understand the ruling.

Looks like you were told right.

https://www.dol.wa.gov/busines...ms/faconcealreq.html

Where to apply:

If you live:
In an unincorporated area of a county in Washington
Apply at Your county sheriff's office

In an incorporated city or town in Washington

Apply at Your city/town police department or your county sheriff’s office

Outside of Washington (not a Washington state resident) Apply at
Any local law enforcement agency (police department or sheriff’s office) in Washington State

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
WA. CPL (Concealed Pistol License) itself has no distinction as resident/non-resident, they have just a single CPL.

Yes, they will issue to someone who is not a state resident, however for a non-resident instead of the “Shall issue within 30 days” the clock goes to 60 days for someone who has not resided in WA for the previous 90 consecutive days.

You will need to apply in person, understand many agencies have gone to appts with limited hours and a backlog of appts.

Some agencies will mail it out once done, others will expect you to pick up in person. While the state has pre-emptive gun laws, many agencies still are guided by internal and administrative “beliefs” that can impact on how easily one can apply and how fast they go through the process after receiving an application.

My first WA CPL (decades ago) was done by Kirkland PD (Seattle area) and the elected officials in Kirkland at the time did not believe in people’s rights. Therefore the Police Chief was told by the mayor, we have to do this but wait until the last day to mail it out.

In contrast to that, when I moved to Snohomish County, I applied on a Thursday, and it was in my mailbox on Wednesday the following week.

Of course timing has to do with workload and how fast the record checks, etc get done but some jurisdictions will hold it as long as they legally can just for spite.

So a couple questions - when are you coming to WA? Where in WA will you be and how long will you be here? Will it be just a single trip or will there be a series of trips?

As another posted, yes OC is legal with a few restrictions. How well it is accepted/tolerated varies greatly depending on where you are. If you are anywhere near Seattle expect to get attention and expect the police to respond. They will chat with you and most likely send you on your way but it may be an inconvenience and some individual cops may take exception and be more “difficult” then others.

On the bright side, no training requirement for CPL and the cost isn’t too excessive. Not sure how long it will stay that way…

RCW 9.41 covers pretty much all you need to know in the gun realm in this area.

https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I had been meaning to drive across the bridge and apply for a nonresident permit, but scrapped that when I got a Utah nonresident permit. Besides Washington, it covers me in a few other states I may have reason to travel to that Oregon doesn't have agreements with. Oregon doesn't honor anybody else's permit, so very few states honor ours (I've heard that some jurisdictions won't even recognize our driver's licenses because we pass them out like candy to anybody who "needs" ID, but I digress).

The club I belong to offers a Utah permit class a few times a year. I guess there's that much demand for it, probably for the same reason I did it. It's like a 3 or 4 hour classroom session, and they do the application, photographs and fingerprints right there. Mail it all off and a few weeks later you get your permit in the mail. Check around, there might be something similar available in your neck of the woods. If not, I imagine you can do it by mail.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
If you don't want to go the permit route, you can open carry, depending on where exactly you are going or carrying. The details matter quite a bit, but it's a fine option. No loaded guns in cars.

The Utah permit is a pretty good option if you can swing it.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with the UT permit plan. If possible, locate a UT instructor, take the class and get the permit. I'm a UT instructor in VA, but I suspect too far away from you to do any good. The UT permit is only $63.25 for the first 5 years and only $25 for every 5 years after that.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post