SIGforum
The spoils of the hunt

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/9740087474

September 22, 2020, 11:11 AM
HeavyFootHick
The spoils of the hunt
I'll be there soon as my cornbread comes out of the oven.
Thanks for sharing.
September 22, 2020, 01:58 PM
pulicords
So cool! So fun! Such good eats! Please stop post this stuff! I'm so totally jealous! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
September 22, 2020, 03:20 PM
usncorpsman
quote:
Originally posted by EUROFAN:
Looks like a great hunt...and meal. Gainesville isn't "that" far away ya know. Smile

We shot those in Williston Big Grin, Passed through Gainesville to get there?

Thank all you guys for the kind words. For such an ugly animal, there sure are tasty if prepared correctly.
September 22, 2020, 03:28 PM
usncorpsman
Here is my recipe if anyone wants it.

quote:
Originally Posted By Air-cooled:
Wow! Can you tell us your technique for cooking this. I'd like to try it.

Sure.

Ingredients needed:

Chicken broth
Yellow mustard
1/3 cup light brown suger
1/4 cup dark brown suger
1/4 cup Accent
1/4 cup Lawrys Season Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2-3 Tbsp Cumin
1- Tsp salt
1- Tsp ground black pepper
1- Tbsp paprika
1- Tsp dry mustard
1- Tsp chili powder
1- Tsp Cayenne pepper

1. Sit the chicken broth aside.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients
3. Take the yellow mustard and rub the entire piece of meat down with it.
4. Use 3/4 of the dry rub to the coat the entire piece of meat. The yellow mustard will make it stick. Let sit in fridge overnight.

Smoking:

I use an offset smoker with lump charcoal and hickory wood. Put the meat directly on the grill and smoke @ 250 for 3 hours. The meat really does not take much smoke after 3 hours anyway. Pre heat oven to 225. Remove meat from grill, coat with the remaining 1/4 cup of dry rub and place into a baking pan. Add about 1/4” of chicken broth to the baking pan. Cover baking pan tightly with foil and cook @ 225 for 5 hours (time will vary depending on the size of the meat). The meat will be fork tender and the bone will pull away for easy shredding of the pork. The seasonings will mix with the chicken broth and creat a very flavorful juice that is poured back into the pulled pork making it super moist. You will also have the smoke flavor from the smoking process. Enjoy
September 22, 2020, 08:34 PM
Nice hunting!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.
September 22, 2020, 08:48 PM
sasquatch28
Looks great! Thank you and your family for their service to our great nation.
September 23, 2020, 09:48 AM
Blue Dog
Looks tasty
September 24, 2020, 08:04 AM
45 Cal
Now thats living the dream.
September 24, 2020, 07:10 PM
az4783054
Thanks to everyone for your service. Keep shootin' those damn pigs. I had to shoot an attacking javelina a few months ago. It went into the dumpster.

We're doing a pork tenderloin (from a local farm) for dinner tonight. It smells so good but my wife would do me bodily harm if I tasted it to soon.
September 25, 2020, 06:38 AM
rsbolo
That makes my mouth water! Great post!

October 09, 2020, 05:23 PM
PrinceAliFabulousHe
Wow. I'm so hungry now.
October 09, 2020, 07:52 PM
jjtnova
How big are they ? Do they reach a point where they aren’t good for smoking ? I keep hearing people say they won’t eat the large ones so am curious re your experience.
October 10, 2020, 10:43 AM
ArtieS
That looks outstanding!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.
October 16, 2020, 07:26 PM
dewhorse
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
Here is my recipe if anyone wants it.

quote:
Originally Posted By Air-cooled:
Wow! Can you tell us your technique for cooking this. I'd like to try it.

Sure.

Ingredients needed:

Chicken broth
Yellow mustard
1/3 cup light brown suger
1/4 cup dark brown suger
1/4 cup Accent
1/4 cup Lawrys Season Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2-3 Tbsp Cumin
1- Tsp salt
1- Tsp ground black pepper
1- Tbsp paprika
1- Tsp dry mustard
1- Tsp chili powder
1- Tsp Cayenne pepper

1. Sit the chicken broth aside.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients
3. Take the yellow mustard and rub the entire piece of meat down with it.
4. Use 3/4 of the dry rub to the coat the entire piece of meat. The yellow mustard will make it stick. Let sit in fridge overnight.

Smoking:

I use an offset smoker with lump charcoal and hickory wood. Put the meat directly on the grill and smoke @ 250 for 3 hours. The meat really does not take much smoke after 3 hours anyway. Pre heat oven to 225. Remove meat from grill, coat with the remaining 1/4 cup of dry rub and place into a baking pan. Add about 1/4” of chicken broth to the baking pan. Cover baking pan tightly with foil and cook @ 225 for 5 hours (time will vary depending on the size of the meat). The meat will be fork tender and the bone will pull away for easy shredding of the pork. The seasonings will mix with the chicken broth and creat a very flavorful juice that is poured back into the pulled pork making it super moist. You will also have the smoke flavor from the smoking process. Enjoy

Consider that stolen, we are going out Sunday night....saw good sign 2 days ago.<<crossed fingers>>

Great family pic!
October 21, 2020, 01:57 PM
chbibc
I just saw this thread. Outstanding!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.
October 21, 2020, 05:36 PM
Austin228
That's awesome!

Thanks to your entire family for the service to our nation you all have given and keep giving in the past, present and future!

I hope you enjoy many more family times together I used to do something like that with hog hunting back in the day.
October 25, 2020, 06:28 PM
coloradohunter44
Yum! I'll be there too as soon as the corn bread shows up. Tell them all thx for their service too.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
October 25, 2020, 08:09 PM
huskerlrrp
Well done! I like your style...I'm a firm believer of 'Q with some beans and rice.

November 01, 2020, 12:22 AM
enidpd804
I'm sorry I missed this thread the first time. Everything about that pic is awesome!

Warren

https://www.policeone.com/columnists/warren-wilson/

www.defensivetrainingservices.com
November 07, 2020, 11:14 PM
craigcpa
Man that hunt looks awesome.

So, what do you do with the remainder of the meat; how’s the sausage?

And do you prepare the ears, feet and skin?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫