SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Request: Rolex and Guns
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Request: Rolex and Guns Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post

I tried to do this earlier, but didn't have any luck using the old Ipad. Laptop, no problem. Hope you love the new watch. I sure enjoy mine.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:

I tried to do this earlier, but didn't have any luck using the old Ipad. Laptop, no problem. Hope you love the new watch. I sure enjoy mine.

Awesome shot!

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Well. It finally arrived. Thank you to everyone who shared a photo. Here are a few of my favorite things.
Excuse the background.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't ever messed with my GMT Master, so I have to ask -- How did you get your 24-hr hand at 8:30 and the 12-hr hand at 12:30?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
I haven't ever messed with my GMT Master, so I have to ask -- How did you get your 24-hr hand at 8:30 and the 12-hr hand at 12:30?

From the horse's mouth, so to speak:

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JD83, you're referring to the rotatable bezel that surrounds the dial. I'm referring to the 24-hour hand within the dial, which on Leonidas's watch is the one with the triangle at the end, pointing to 0830 hrs. The 12-hour hand, with the "Y" at the end, points to 1230 hrs. On my watch, both hour hands point to the same time, one to the 12-hour time, the other to the 24- hour time.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JD83
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
JD83, you're referring to the rotatable bezel that surrounds the dial. I'm referring to the 24-hour hand within the dial, which on Leonidas's watch is the one with the triangle at the end, pointing to 0830 hrs. The 12-hour hand, with the "Y" at the end, points to 1230 hrs. On my watch, both hour hands point to the same time, one to the 12-hour time, the other to the 24- hour time.

Got it.

Okay, I think what leonidas211 did(until we hear from him to clarify)was that he might have turned the 12 hour hand to set the correct date, instead of using the minute hand-if he had done so, the arrow/triangle shaped hand would have moved along with the minute hand, so both hands would have shown the same time.

Example below: My watch with the red(triangle/arrow)hand and hour hand pointing to the correct time:

Here's the watch after I rotated the hour hand around to set the date to the next day-at 1 am. Notice the red arrow/triangle hand has not moved
and is still showing 1pm:

Here's another example with a ceramic GMT just like leonidas211's(I don't remember why it was set this way-I no longer have this watch):

Finally, this is some info I got off the Rolex forum about the correct way to set a GMT:

"Set the "home time" 24 hour hand and minute hand first by pulling the crown out the 3rd indent. Push back the crown to the 2nd indent and set the hour hand to "local time".

To set the date you pull the crown to the 2nd indent and rotate the "local" hour hand until you get to the correct date

Position 0= screwed down
Position 1= hand wind
Position 2= move the hour hand and set the date. The date is set by turning the hour hand either forward or backward 24 hours.
Position 3= set the time and the 24 hour (green or red) hand. The 24 hour hand and the minute hand move together so you set the correct 24 hour hand and minute hand together. Also, this position hacks the second hand, so you can set an exact time.

So the correct sequence:

1. Go to position 1 and fully wind (40 turns) the watch.
2. Go to position 3 and hack the second hand to the 12, using Time.Gov. Turn the crown to set the 24 hour hand and the minute hand to the correct time. You have two choices- either set the 24 hour hand to your home time or set the 24 hour hand to the correct GMT time. Most here set it to the home time. Push the crown to position 2 to start the second hand moving when correct time is achieved.
3. In position 2, set the hour hand and date, making sure that you account for AM and PM.
4. Push the crown in to position 1 and screw it down until its finger tight. Don't over tighten it.

Sounds complicated, but once you get used to it, it's a piece of cake."

Posts: 352 | Location: Blue Heaven  | Registered: April 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess mine's different.

According to the manual (which I still have, along with the original boxes and tags!) rotating the outer bezel to the different time zone is how it was done in 1983, and it appears that the 12-hour and 24-hour hands just work for the same time zone.

Since I've never even rotated the bezel, and the stem mechanism is showing signs of wear, I'm not going to attempt resetting mine like you can reset yours.

Thanks for clearing it up for me!

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

Well. It finally arrived. Thank you to everyone who shared a photo. Here are a few of my favorite things.
Excuse the background.

CONGRATS! Wear it in good health. What do you think?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to really read up on the 24 hour hand. I don't quite get it yet. However, I am so happy I went with the GMT over the SUB. It looks awesome.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

posted Hide Post
Mine is a great watch, probably the best thing I've ever owned. I'm sure yours will be equally as satisfying.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Picture of hiend
posted Hide Post
Rolex and Guns by Request

SIG|BERETTA|HK|SA TRP|DAN WESSON|

Posts: 42 | Location: NYC, State of Empire | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the older GMT's, but I set my green hand to the time at Greenwich or GMT time. On the newer watches this is done with the stem all the way out. Their are great vid's on Youtube if you don't have the watch manual.

leonidas211, congrats on the new timepiece. Looks great.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post