SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    ammo comparison pictures you'd like to see
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ammo comparison pictures you'd like to see Login/Join 
posted
I will start
If anyone has a .35 rem. cartridge next to a .45-70 cartridge.
I'd be interested.

(pictures with rulers or half inch grid graph paper get extra credit)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post

Winchester .22 LR 40Gr HP on the left,30 MM TP PGU-15/B on the right. I think it is 5,500 Gr.

Razz

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
whats the gun that shoots that look like ?

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:

Two come to mind the first has wings and sounds like "brrrrrttttt".

The second is the goalie.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Don't have the .45-70 but can show the .35 Rem with some other common calibers; left to right, 5.56/55 gr., .44 Mag/240 gr., .35 Rem/200 gr., .308/150 gr.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ArtieS,

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Just for the heck of it, WWII era 303 British and USA's 30-06.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will start
If anyone has a .35 rem. cartridge next to a .45-70 cartridge.

Edited for extra credit.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Just for the heck of it, WWII era 303 British and USA's 30-06.

7.7 Japanese, .303 British, .30-06 M2Ball

(the 7.7 Jap is a 1960's Norma commercial load, it was laying on the bench so I put it in. The lead tip is buggered up)

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
quote:

Two come to mind the first has wings and sounds like "brrrrrttttt".

BURRRRT! Big Grin

Posts: 12167 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not my photo, but I do love it so.

IIRC .22 .20 .17 .14 .12 .10

posted Hide Post
thanks Cas

( extra credit is now in your permanent file ) Big Grin

Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I only got to keep the fired one in the middle, so all have been shot.

Top to bottom:

45/70

primer from a 16" 50 cal.

.458 Winchester Magnum

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Another thanks from me also, cas.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1856 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
My smallest and largest bottle necks.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
My smallest and largest bottle necks.

For Martini Henry right. Aren't most a foil case ?

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the crappy photo with no grid...don't hold it against me...

.22 short, .22 Winchester Automatic, .22 long rifle and a .22 magnum...

The second from the left...the .22 Winchester Automatic, was the first .22 rim fire cartridge loaded exclusively with smokeless powder to use in the model 1903 Winchester .22 automatic rifle (the first successful .22 semiautomatic rifle)...if you look closely, you can see the case is much fatter than the .22 long rifle (closer to the .22 magnum) and the bullet is of a different design not being "heeled" were the case and bullet being the same diameter, with the bullet been stepped down (much like the modern .22 magnum)...these differences were to prevent the black powder .22 long from being used in the Winchester Model 1903 (which would foul it's action with corrosive residue)...

I have my grandfather's Model 1903 (born in 1906) and about 800 rounds of vintage Remington .22 Winchester Automatic ammo bought 40 years ago. It is an obsolete cartridge.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
For Martini Henry right. Aren't most a foil case ?

.577/450 rounds originally used a rolled brass foil case with an iron rim, but production switched to drawn brass cases in the 1880s, about 10 years after the round was initially designed.

It was discovered during the Anglo-Zulu War that the overly pliable foil portion of the case led to extraction problems. During sustained fire, the chamber would get coated by black powder fouling, and cases would start to stick. The thin foil would expand excessively in the fouled chamber, sticking the case fast in the chamber and rendering the breech block tough to move, or even inoperable. If the mechanism of a stuck rifle was able to be worked with the application of significant enough force, the extractor would often tear the stronger iron base off the weaker foil body, leaving the foil portion of the case still jammed in the chamber, and resulting in the rifle still being unusable, since another round couldn't be loaded.

Switching to drawn brass cases, which were less pliable and stronger, helped the extraction issues, along with a redesign of the loading lever on subsequent Martini-Henry models to apply extra torque to help overcome fouled chambers. Several years later, the switch to smokeless propellants like cordite finally fully resolved these extraction problems, although the British military had moved on to the .303 cartridge and the various bolt-action Lee-Metford and Lee-Enfield rifles by that point.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rogue, I've had a few of the foil rounds in my collection long ago. Would have loved to have a live 30 mm round as I had just the aluminum case. Had some nice 20 mm rounds.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Left 7.35X51 Italian Carcano (this was a true .300 diameter bullet)...right 7.62X51 NATO (.308 diameter bullet)...

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

smokeless propellants like cordite

For those that have never seen cordite.... it's explosive spaghetti. Big Grin