SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Michigan Fall Salmon
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan Fall Salmon Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
So over time from fishing for bluegills with a cane pole, keeping a spinning rod in my vehicle and stopping at every likely roadside spot, to fly in trips in Canada and owning a Great lakes trolling boat I've pretty much settled for catching steelhead and salmon on streams and rivers with a fly rod. Over the years, my fishing partner has been my nephew who is 7 years younger than me. Every year we meet up to camp, eat in local dive bars and breakfast spots and enjoy an adult beverage or 3 around a campfire. We had a great salmon run again this year. Here are a few fish from earlier this month. We release most of the fish we catch. My wife likes to can salmon so I bring home a couple fish for that.

I use a 9'6" 8 wt fly rod and usually run 8# leader for kings and as light as 4# for steelhead depending on how clear the water is and how spooked the fish are.

Betsie River King.

IMG_0798 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Another one from the Betsie. the guys behind us were camping on a piece of private property. We access the river from state land and then walk up or down to where we want to fish.

IMG_0797 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

This fish was taken on a tributary of the Big Manistee.

IMG_0793 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

One for the canner

IMG_0791 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
sounds like a lot of fun

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice fish. Looks like fun. It's fishing Not catching fish But you did both so Congratulations.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Nice catch and sounds like a great time. Enjoy this winter while eating your catch.

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Are these wild, or supported by a hatchery? Looks like a ton of fun either way.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
Are these wild, or supported by a hatchery? Looks like a ton of fun either way.

We check for fin clips indicating hatchery fish. Didn't see any on the fish we caught this year so all wild reproduction. And yup tons of fun either way.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice fish.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Great work, Brad! And good eating!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Great looking fish!

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've caught a lot of Salmon in my day but never with a fly rod. That must be a thrill to land those bad boys. Well done Brad.

Jim

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jimbo54,

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

We have spent a few Summer vacations in that area. Absolutely Beautiful!! Pure Michigan!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
What fly are you using?

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
That is just good clean fun right there. I’ve salmon fished with a fly rod on the Pere Marquette and had a blast. It’s all of the fun and camaraderie of rifle season deer camp without being as cold. Plus it is a lot more action.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
What fly are you using?

For salmon, we mostly use yarn flies. For steelhead we use nymphs but yarn flies can be very effective as well. I just tie a snell knot and then open up the loop, push whatever color yarn I'm using through the loop, pull it closed and trim it up.

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Thanks Brad. Cool

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Brad, I see you also do steelhead. Do you ever get over to Western MI for those?

I grew up in St. Joseph, and people would come in from all over to fish the St. Joseph River in steelhead season. I wasn't into fishing but was always amazed at the number of boats in the river when the fish were running.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Brad, I see you also do steelhead. Do you ever get over to Western MI for those?

The headwaters of the St. Joe are right here in Hillsdale County. It flows directly behind my store but the dams keep the fish below Niles. I learned to steelhead fish at he dam in Berrien Springs. I spent countless hours fishing out of Benton harbor/St. Joe and new Buffalo when I had my trolling boat.

So yes, I've fished there but I've came to love the smaller streams and rivers of northern Michigan and have not fished over that way in 20+ years.

posted Hide Post
We were back at Salmon Camp this year after deciding last year to chase walleye and pike in the U.P. instead. This was my nicest fish for 2022. Used my new pulse 9' 8 wt rod. 8# leader. My fishing partner was fighting his own fish at the time and couldn't net for me so I beached her.

2022 King by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous!

Where were you? I've fished the Au Sable years ago, and a tributary that I can't remember the name of (I want to say Eagle River, but not sure) off of I75 near Grayling as I recall. Not sure it was entirely legal to fish there, but we did well. Big Grin

I'm going over to the North Fork of the Clearwater in ID next week. The plan is to camp for a few days, drink some whiskey, smoke a few cigars, and if time allows...do a little fly fishing. This time of year, hopefully we're not too late, there is a hatch of October caddis flies. It's stupid easy fishing as they are about an inch and a half long fly and there is absolutely no finesse required. Just slop it out there and they'll gobble it up.

I can't wait.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, we were between Bretheran and Kaleva.

You trip sounds a lot like ours. After about 42 years of fishing together, my nephew and I enjoy the camping, cigars and whiskey sipping mixed in with a bit of fly fishing. Where we used to stay out from dark to dark, we now head in for breakfast and enjoy a nap before heading back to fish until sunset.

Good luck and tight lines