SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Trusted sources for valuing/selling digital camera equipment?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trusted sources for valuing/selling digital camera equipment? Login/Join 
posted
Finally able to free myself of some of my brothers possessions after him tipping over on me. I never once saw him use these Cannon EOS 5D mark 3 cameras/lenses. Searching the web didn't help me in determining any of the "used" equipments value.

It's probably silly but I would feel better if this stuff would end up with someone who would use it.

Thank you.

"You can take your pistol and stick it so far up your ass, the muzzle of it is visible when you cough."

Posts: 1248 | Registered: February 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fredmiranda.com buy and sell forums are probably the best for valuations for person to person sales but you have to be a member with posting history to sell (or you did at one point) and it cost $15 to be able to sell items. eBay is normally pretty close but I wouldn’t run the risk of trying to sell there. KEH.com and bhphoto.com has a pretty extensive used selection that would be a good reference for used “retail” price but you will take a big hit selling to them.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
KEH buys that gear. They are trustworthy. Of course, they have to make money, so the buy price is under the sell price.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
KEH buys that gear. They are trustworthy. Of course, they have to make money, so the buy price is under the sell price.

This.

If you do your homework you can likely make more selling it locally, ebay, or a camera forum. that will take more effort though. Depends on how much you want to deal with it and just get it done.

FWIW sell the camera bodies sooner then later. Their value will drop quickly as time goes by. Manufacturers push out new bodies all the time. Glass will stay to same for decades sometime. It's value will not decrease like camera bodies will.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
MPB.com is another online place that buys used gear. Them and KEH are both reputable and I have sold and bought from both. You can get online estimates from both. They will frequently offer the same, but either or may be a little higher for one item or another so check with both.

What it comes down to is how much hassle you want vs. how much money you want to get from the gear.

KEH and MPB both send you a label so no cost to ship it in. Never had them try and chintz on a condition rating or short you on their estimate. They also tend to be more generous than BHPhoto or Adorama on used gear.

I will tell you this, the 5D3 is now a few models back and digital gear value drops pretty quick. Excellent condition selling to a private party you might get $700-$750, selling to KEH or MBP maybe $300.

Another option is a local brick and mortar camera store, my experience though is they usually offer the least.

Lenses tend to hold value longer depending on which ones they are.

Do you happen to have a list?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10918 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post