SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Quarantine Arts and Crafts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quarantine Arts and Crafts Login/Join 
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted
anyone else been working on creative pursuits while stuck at home? i have been dabbling in leather gun holsters since we already make leather knife sheaths. i started with this prototype slide type holster for my Beretta LTT.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Nice!

What kind of leather is that?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
this one is just simple tooling (cow) leather. it is my go to for our knife sheaths, so i had plenty on hand. i have used horse leather in the past as well. the next one will have more precise boning and be a bit more aesthetic. i didn't even bother to radius or buff the edges. i swear that edge work makes up 80% of good leather work. i am not a leather pro, but i wanted to try some new things. i think i will work on a matching mag pouch for this slide holster. gotta stay busy in my off time these days.

dozer

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

So, are the black markings part of the leather? Don't recall ever having seen that particular effect before.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
yeah, the black is part of our signature leather dye pattern. we do everything different. i use three different dyes on the sheath to get that color and pattern. the mrs. calls it the leopard pattern. i have been very tempted to make an entire tactical rig from wet formed leather, just for giggles. basically, a modern day gun slinger rig. that would be a fun project. who knows, if we are holed up for months, i just might do that. i am working on some fun projects for my down time.

dozer

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
So the dye reacts differently to different parts of the leather or you create the pattern intentionally? Referring to the black parts, obviously the white was worked in.

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i do the pattern intentionally. i start with the lighter dye colors and work up to the black. i apply the black with my fingers to create the spotted effect. it is just a look i came up with years ago and it has become our signature finish on all of our leather work. the light part is our logo that i carve into the leather at the very end with a foredom tool. seems more personal than just using a leather stamp.

dozer

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Ah. VERY nicely done, I'd have thought it was some sort of natural pattern or figure in the leather. Impressive.

Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
i appreciate the kind words. we try to be unique. i hated leather work, initially. it was just something that had to be done. over time, it became a fun skill to learn, on it's own.

dozer

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Very nice looking!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I just finished this last week. My wife and I are full-time woodturners. We make a entire array of things, salt & pepper mills, cremation urns, wine bottle stoppers and lots of other things that are round!

Norfolk Island Pine with small burl from our property.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Here's a urn we did about 5 months ago.

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
those are awesome. i watch those youtube videos of guys doing that type of woodwork. impressive.

dozer

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Learned how to bake bread, very rewarding and fun.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Learned how to bake bread, very rewarding and fun.

That looks great. I have been baking bread too. I didn’t realize how much I would enjoy it. Day 2 of my sourdough starter. Hopefully, I don’t screw it up.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
great, now i want bread. not a good thing while trying to keep carbs down. well, now i am bending kydex for my pistols now. got some nice new kydex pants for my custom HK now. next up is some kydex for the CyberSteyr.

dozer

posted Hide Post
quote:
got some nice new kydex pants

Wow, that beats heavy starch

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I do some leather work. I have not attempted holsters yet, that will come soon.

I do some wood carving. I especially like making hiking and walking staffs.

I need to get my camera battery charged up and ready to go, storm season starts here real soon. I’m in tornado alley.

I’m getting my small garden ready, I’m planting a few things this weekend. I need to rebuild, or should I say redo the wood frames.

I’m in the ham radio hobby, I’m getting a new mast and dual band antenna up in the next week, and probably build another dipole for HF.

I’ve put a stop on bee keeping, they’re just too hard to keep alive now, and they’re expensive to buy.

I like raising rose bushes, I used to have 55 bushes but Rose Rosette Disease killed most of them. I have 5 or 6 still alive and healthy and really enjoy them. Now that most of my neighbors are home from the Covid Disease I tell them to clip all the roses they want for their wives to enjoy.

Posts: 11812 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
good grief, you must be busy all the time. i wish i had enough time to dabble in more interests, myself. good stuff.

dozer

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Rainy day projects:

We have a few of those half-circle windows in our house & custom 'blind' panels are pricey.

Had a fair bit of 'scrap' wood around the house, so decided to DIY it.

My original idea, was to build a filler panel that would slide into the pocket, then my wife decided she wanted 'shutters'.

A trip to HD, borrowed my F-I-L's air stapler & a few hours of my time.

Not 100% happy with a few parts, but overall I think they'll work. And, if not, I only have about $20 (hinges, staples, paint) in it.

This is the back side & they'll be closed the majority of the time.
Learned a few things & will probably do a better job on the next set.

And, a shot of what the front will be

With all the time spent waiting on paint & glue to dry, got some work done on reorganizing the garage. End goal is to get 1 bay cleared up enough to fit my car back in. Once the dead fridge is gone, it should free up the last bit of space I'll need.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post