SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    I guess I'm a REAL AZ Resident now!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I guess I'm a REAL AZ Resident now! Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
My wife and I moved to Scottsdale last year from California and we've had quite a few encounters with the local wildlife. Yesterday, I definitely had a "Bucket-List" moment, while hiking at nearly 4600 feet elevation in 60ish degree temps: My first meeting with a Gila Monster!!! I've been hoping to see one of these for some time, but was surprised when it actually occurred. I nearly stepped on this guy and he was as shocked as I was since he reared back, opened his mouth and gave me a very audible warning hiss!!!

I have neighbors that have lived in this area for years and never seen one of these venomous lizards (the only species with venom in North American and the largest lizard here), so I count myself lucky. Hopefully, I'll see more of them, but there is a bit of luck involved as Gila Monsters spend most of their life underground and may only be out of their burrows for as few as three weeks of the year.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
You're lucky to have captured the moment. I'm a native and never seen one in the wild. I can count on one hand how many rattlesnakes I've seen and I've worked all over the state. The Gila Monster really blends into the terrain.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
You're lucky to have captured the moment. I'm a native and never seen one in the wild. I can count on one hand how many rattlesnakes I've seen and I've worked all over the state. The Gila Monster really blends into the terrain.

This guy sure blended in! We've got lots of snakes around our development. I've seen and photographed California Kingsnakes, Long-nosed Snakes, and some really BIG Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes. Everything seems to be coming out with the milder weather and I'm definitely keeping my eyes open.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
My wife and I moved to Scottsdale last year from California and we've had quite a few encounters with the local wildlife. Yesterday, I definitely had a "Bucket-List" moment, while hiking at nearly 4600 feet elevation in 60ish degree temps: My first meeting with a Gila Monster!!! I've been hoping to see one of these for some time, but was surprised when it actually occurred. I nearly stepped on this guy and he was as shocked as I was since he reared back, opened his mouth and gave me a very audible warning hiss!!!

I have neighbors that have lived in this area for years and never seen one of these venomous lizards (the only species with venom in North American and the largest lizard here), so I count myself lucky. Hopefully, I'll see more of them, but there is a bit of luck involved as Gila Monsters spend most of their life underground and may only be out of their burrows for as few as three weeks of the year.

Be advised, that slow ugly critter is protected by state law.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
Be advised, that slow ugly critter is protected by state law.

Thanks, I'm well aware of it and don't handle venomous reptiles of any kind as a general rule.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I've been here 17 years and have yet to run across a Gila Monster. However, when you do, keep your eyes open. Many, many local residents/hikers have told me they travel in pairs, though not usually side by side.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I was here about two years when I saw my first Gila Monster. I worked for Schwans, and my delivery routes were on and off dirt roads in the desert near Tucson.

It is pretty cool to see them!

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Whoa! That guy has a nice camo job.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Godzirra!

Posts: 5301 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
7 years in Phoenix /mesa never saw one,

heck we only saw a diamond back once,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Cool. Right up there with Harris hawks as my favorite desert animals.

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

We get the Harris hawks around here every winter. They are a very majestic hawk, and always in groups of 3 or more. I understand they are the only raptor that hunts using typical pack hunting techniques (using one as a decoy, or running the prey to ground, or attacking from the periphery from different directions, etc).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
What great camouflage. I've lived on the edge of the Florida Everglades now all my life, and in all these years of exploring and trampling thru the woods I've hardly seen a handful of snakes. That doesn't mean they're not around, but hardly seen any. I've seen a few moccasin swimming in the canals and under a barrel a pigmy rattler once but thats it. They can be unbelievably stealthy.

Great catch pullicords!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Now that's cool. Good for you!

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

We get the Harris hawks around here every winter. They are a very majestic hawk, and always in groups of 3 or more. I understand they are the only raptor that hunts using typical pack hunting techniques (using one as a decoy, or running the prey to ground, or attacking from the periphery from different directions, etc).

Honorable mention to sidewinders. Only saw a couple of those, but they’re sure neat to see.

and Coues deer

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulli, personally, I think you're a great guy. I enjoy your posts, and insight on things. You're probably a hoot to have a few beers with!

But under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, am I ever going on a walk with you. Anywhere. You always seem to run into stuff that is just gonna mess your day all up!

Snakes, spiders, some "super mega wasp" with a pike hanging out its ass instead of a stinger...

Yeah, man, I'm going to have to take a pass on going out for a walk with you.

Wink

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8321 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Pulli, personally, I think you're a great guy. I enjoy your posts, and insight on things. You're probably a hoot to have a few beers with!

But under NO CIRCUMSTANCES, am I ever going on a walk with you. Anywhere. You always seem to run into stuff that is just gonna mess your day all up!

Snakes, spiders, some "super mega wasp" with a pike hanging out its ass instead of a stinger...

Yeah, man, I'm going to have to take a pass on going out for a walk with you.

Wink

LOL! What can I say? My family moved me out west before I was a year old, but I was born in Chicago. I guess I've got an inherent need to find drama! Wink

posted Hide Post
Lived in az all my life, and just moved to Idaho two years ago. I couldn't count how many time I been hiking and almost stepped on snakes. Lol

Posts: 10 | Registered: May 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of 1968 Fort Sam Huston in San Antonio. I was in basic training and for some reason, they took us out in the boonies and dropped us off individually. After a while, I hear this rustling behind a bush. Fearing a rattler or something worse, I cautiously peer behind the bush and there sits an armadillo. Quite an experience for a city boy.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I want to see one, too. Ive always thought they were cool, and now they're Utah's state reptile.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post