SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Recovered stolen gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered stolen gun Login/Join 
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted
Almost exactly 5 years and 4 months ago, I had my Glock 23C stolen out of my work vehicle. Several years later I discovered Homeland Security conducted an undercover gun smuggling sting and the gun runner was carrying my Glock as his personal protection weapon. The Glock was confiscated and held for court. All turds have been sentenced and the agent cleared me to pick up the gun. She's not too worse for wear but it sucks that who knows how many ass hats finger f*#%ed her over the years. Welcome home girly! I think I'm going to keep the property room's identification markings. Cool

Posts: 596 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have had a number of guns stolen over the years and so far 8 of them have been recovered. Two of them came back after 10 years (separate recoveries). Three were found in pawn shops and I had to pay off the pawns to take possession (local law--it sucks). AFAIK, none of them had been involved in crimes before being recovered.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Clean it lube it shoot it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Sig stolen from me as my car went through Danny's Car Wash in Phoenix, AZ. That was about 13 years ago and still no gun back.

Posts: 697 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive sold four firearms to private parties,
I wonder who they get returned too , when/ if
those get stolen?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had 6 handguns stolen in '84' and after 8 years one of them showed up. It was in perfect condition, like it had never been fired. The other 5 are still in limbo. I started shopping for a safe immediately after that.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I have had a number of guns stolen over the years and so far 8 of them have been recovered. Two of them came back after 10 years (separate recoveries). Three were found in pawn shops and I had to pay off the pawns to take possession (local law--it sucks). AFAIK, none of them had been involved in crimes before being recovered.

flashguy

Glad you got so many back. Did you get them all stolen at the same time?

Posts: 596 | Location: Houston, TX USA | Registered: August 28, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Clean it lube it shoot it.

Got #1 & #2 done. Just gotta do #3!

with a hair trigger
Picture of alou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Ive sold four firearms to private parties,
I wonder who they get returned too , when/ if
those get stolen?

They will get returned to whoever reports the gun stolen. ATF typically doesn't get involved.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alou:
...I think I'm going to keep the property room's identification markings. Cool

It's good they used something removable, since I've heard a lot of times the marks are scratched into the gun's frame, as in "permanent." Congrats to the Feds for respecting your property! Cool

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

flashguy

No, there were 3 separate thefts. The first was around 1981 when I was accosted by 2 thugs and forced inside and tied up. They ransacked the house and got away with 13 guns. I had recently recorded the serial numbers of all my guns and made an immediate report. Ultimately, 5 of those guns have been recovered, several from pawn shops and one 10 years later from South Carolina (stolen in Texas). Then in 1987 my sister and her family had come to Dallas for a visit and I had to empty my car trunk to take them back to the airport. On my return I forgot to close the garage door and the next morning I found that 2 gun bags and 3 guns had been stolen. One of those has been recovered--it had been bought about 9 months later by the gun range I go to and was being used as a rental. The final theft was in 2001 of my F-150 pickup truck from outside my office--I'd been to the range the day before and there were 6 guns still in the pickup (not immediately visible, but not locked up). So far, 2 of those have been recovered, one from a pawn shop that checked and found it had been stolen and held on to it (and the perp, who was not the original thief and gave no leads to the other 5); because the gun had not actually been pawned I did not have to bail it out. (The pawn shop got suspicious because it was a gun in .44 Automag and the customer had been trying to put .44 Mag ammo into it.)

This all attests to the benefits of having records of all one's gun serial numbers and getting them into the government records as soon as possible after a theft. Sometimes they are found by LE and get returned.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

flashguy

No, there were 3 separate thefts. The first was around 1981 when I was accosted by 2 thugs and forced inside and tied up. They ransacked the house and got away with 13 guns. I had recently recorded the serial numbers of all my guns and made an immediate report. Ultimately, 5 of those guns have been recovered, several from pawn shops and one 10 years later from South Carolina (stolen in Texas). Then in 1987 my sister and her family had come to Dallas for a visit and I had to empty my car trunk to take them back to the airport. On my return I forgot to close the garage door and the next morning I found that 2 gun bags and 3 guns had been stolen. One of those has been recovered--it had been bought about 9 months later by the gun range I go to and was being used as a rental. The final theft was in 2001 of my F-150 pickup truck from outside my office--I'd been to the range the day before and there were 6 guns still in the pickup (not immediately visible, but not locked up). So far, 2 of those have been recovered, one from a pawn shop that checked and found it had been stolen and held on to it (and the perp, who was not the original thief and gave no leads to the other 5); because the gun had not actually been pawned I did not have to bail it out. (The pawn shop got suspicious because it was a gun in .44 Automag and the customer had been trying to put .44 Mag ammo into it.)

This all attests to the benefits of having records of all one's gun serial numbers and getting them into the government records as soon as possible after a theft. Sometimes they are found by LE and get returned.

flashguy

Did your car or home owners insurance cover any of the loss?

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Home owners typically covers items that are not "bolted down" in vehicles. They covered my auto/handgun theft years ago.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Yes, my insurance did cover the thefts, but my coverage limit was $2000 so I didn't get full restitution. I checked with the insurance company (USAA) and they said that until I'd recovered enough guns to make up the difference between what they'd paid and what they were worth that I didn't need to update their records. (So far, I'm still in the hole.)

flashguy

Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Just curious: how do you guys manage to get so many guns stolen?

Over here in Switzerland that's something almost completly unknown.

Losing guns would also result in a charge and a police record. Same for improper storage.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Maybe we have more thieves.

flashguy

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's likely a combination of more thieves, a larger number of people carrying firearms around in their vehicles, and the fact that most folks in the US probably don't take secure gun storage as seriously as those in Switzerland.

There are only a relatively few areas in the US that have laws requiring guns to be locked up securely, like Switzerland has. And for some reason that I cannot understand, lots of people in the US apparently don't see it as being important.

Most of the gun thefts in my area come from people leaving them unsecured in a vehicle. (Often an unlocked vehicle!) Residential burglaries where unsecured guns are stolen from inside a home are much less common. Theft of guns that are locked up is rare.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:
Just curious: how do you guys manage to get so many guns stolen?

Over here in Switzerland that's something almost completly unknown.

There are a lot of answers which contribute to the over all discrepancy between Switzerland and the US, but this may be part of it:

Stealing a gun requires intention.

If so, what would that intention be?

In the US, with its huge population, one stolen gun can easily disappear into the black market. Guns are relatively small, in demand items. Even cars get stolen here. Drive to another state, throw on a fake license plate--might be a while before you are caught.

If someone were to steal a gun in Switzerland, what would the do with it? Sell it to the Swiss Mafia? Local Swiss gangbangers?

The harder it is to launder an item, the less black market there will be for such an item.

On top of that there are all the cultural and economic differences between the two countries. But in general, the larger the population you have, the more diversified the criminal market.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Good points.

There are cases of break in where the robbers left guns behind.

Guess they're not worth the trouble over here. Easy to track where you got it, when you get caught with a stolen gun, too.

There's a black market for guns over here, too. But mostly stuff from the east and the Balkan is sold there.

Thanks for the input anyway.

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kampfhamster:
Good points.

There are cases of break in where the robbers left guns behind.

Guess they're not worth the trouble over here. Easy to track where you got it, when you get caught with a stolen gun, too.

There's a black market for guns over here, too. But mostly stuff from the east and the Balkan is sold there.

Thanks for the input anyway.

Aside from vehicle thefts, most of the firearms are home invasion, burglaries. Not all people keep them in a safe. Most safes only buy you time. If you are known to be gone during the week, on holiday weekends. Your safes may not be that secure.

Most burlars will be in and out of a house in 8 to 12 minutes.

A cheap safe may help. Yet search you tube. There are dozens of videos on how to break into a safe in under a minute, or 3. Even larger full sized 500lb safes have videos on how to break in in just a small amount of time.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post