SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My latest modeling project
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My latest modeling project Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted

A guy on a tractor board I hang out on challenged me to model this forage harvester in 1:64 scale. It's Winter, I'm easily bored and I have a new toy so...

I started drawing up the models and printing out bits and pieces. The really great thing about the 3D printer is that as I assemble the various bits and notice things that need to be tweaked, I can just update the drawing and print out the new version. I'm on Version 3 of the chassis and Version 5 of the corn head/blower assembly. Pretty much everything in the picture has been printed, tweaked, reprinted, rinse, repeat.

This is what it looks like at the moment. Being a test mule, I didn't spend a lot of time cleaning up the prints. Once I'm happy with everything, I'll reprint all the parts and spend the time to clean them up properly.

All of the stuff shown has been developed in 3D from scratch except the tractor tires on the front. I found them online and resized them to suit. No point in...ahem...reinventing the wheel...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Neat stuff, Paul!

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool. No way my hands are steady enough for that kind of thing.

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice work.
A 3d printer is on my want list.

This video is 14 minutes long (and out of context from the series) but the guy in it has a printer to be envious of. Looks like the print surface is as big as my coffee table.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM5z6DSsQzU

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nice work.

This video is 14 minutes long (and out of context from the series) but the guy in it has a printer to be envious of. Looks like the print surface is as big as my coffee table.

Oooooo. Project Binky! Somebody posted about that here and I've been crawling down that rabbit hole ever since. Those guys are amazing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Nice work.

Oooooo. Project Binky! Somebody posted about that here and I've been crawling down that rabbit hole ever since. Those guys are amazing.

Same here. Watched all the Binky episodes & dove into the Escargot & racecar builds.
Love the M Python references, too.
Those 3d printed arches are pretty amazing.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post