SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Pelican 1400 setup for airline travel with firearms.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelican 1400 setup for airline travel with firearms. Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted

Setup to fly to a class later this year. Turned out ok. I’ll see how it holds up and then see about better foam if needed.

I had thought about a stand-alone case, like the Pelican 1510 I have, but think the 1400 may be better in another bag.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I think the airline will require you to put ammo in a separate case?

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
Negative. You can fly with ammo in the same case as the weapons.

OP, I bought and have used this to fly with several handguns, ammo, etc.

https://www.casecruzer.com/gun...s/handgun-6pack.html

I did cut out the 2 dividers on the right side to make a larger, square area for ammo & accessories but it still allows 3 full size handguns, 12 mags, and a bunch of stuff.

It's heavy and you check it as a standalone. For a CCW only need, I have a small Pelican that holds a pistol in a holster, 2-3 mags, and a 50rd MTM box of ammo. When flying with that one, I lock it, put it in my normal suitcase and cable lock it to the suitcase frame. For simplicity, I usually bring my Walter PPS 9MM in these situations - reliable and easy to replace if stolen.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:

Southwest has made me remove the ammo from the locked gun case before. Now I just leave it out if I fly Southwest. They have asked more than once.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

As I mentioned, I thought about making a Pelican 1510 that I have a gun case, but I’m not sure if it’s better to have the handguns cases and inside other luggage.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

OP, I bought and have used this to fly with several handguns, ammo, etc.

https://www.casecruzer.com/gun...s/handgun-6pack.html

I did cut out the 2 dividers on the right side to make a larger, square area for ammo & accessories but it still allows 3 full size handguns, 12 mags, and a bunch of stuff.

It's heavy and you check it as a standalone. For a CCW only need, I have a small Pelican that holds a pistol in a holster, 2-3 mags, and a 50rd MTM box of ammo. When flying with that one, I lock it, put it in my normal suitcase and cable lock it to the suitcase frame. For simplicity, I usually bring my Walter PPS 9MM in these situations - reliable and easy to replace if stolen.

RHINOWSO, would you mind sharing a photo?

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
quote:
quote:

Southwest has made me remove the ammo from the locked gun case before. Now I just leave it out if I fly Southwest. They have asked more than once.

I've found that this can change with each airline. I carry a printout of their policy off of their own website when I do this.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The setup shown in the original post is about as good as it gets for travel.

Airlines have policies, but the airline locally can restrict it further if desired (you don't have a right to travel with a firearm; you have a privilege extended by the airline and the airline can change the policy or make it more restrictive). The captain also has the authority to refuse any passenger or cargo, though it seldom happens.

If I travel with a firearm, I chuck it in a plastic box with a lock, and the ammunition goes in a cut-down plastic container. I use a 20-round rifle cartridge carrier with the proper diameter for the ammunition, the kind that has a bottom and a top that slides over. I cut them both down until they slide together at to just fit the pistol ammunition, secure it with rubber bands, and it's good. I do it that way only because it takes up very little space in luggage.

If you get diverted to NYC, it won't matter how you've got your firearms carried or stored; yo umay lose them anyway, or run afoul. It's happened.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Yeah, I can't abide their cattle car seating arrangement, so I wouldn't know. It's not TSA regs, however.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicely done

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post