SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    USS Wisconsin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USS Wisconsin Login/Join 
The Quiet Man
posted
God she's a big ship.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Newf
posted Hide Post
Great pics!

Posts: 920 | Location: Canada | Registered: June 05, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Im always confused that BB64 is Mighty Mo. Where did you see her at copaup ? K Norfolk.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
She’s at Norfolk. I went early on a weekday and for a period I was the only person below decks. I can tell you, its erie walking around a warship that looks like everyone just walked off if it. The half empty cup of coffee on the XO’s desk was a nice touch. There were donuts in the conveyor in the donut shop. I was actually glad when a tour group showed up, it was getting creepy down there.

I highly recommend a visit. Shes in much better shape than Alabama and hasnt been cut up any to open up museum space. You can only get to the engineering spaces or control rooms as part of an organized tour, but from what i saw the tour guides actually served on her and are a wealth of information and stories.

Also reccomended, spend the $25 and take the naval yards boat tour. You really cant fathom just how big a Nimitz or Ford carrier is until you see one in person from a small boat.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you. If I'm ever down there again, I would love to tour her. She is beautiful. I have seen photos of their teak decks and how well they were cared for.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Amazing shots.

When I was in Norfolk a few years back I walked around that ship. Very neat to see. Kinda wish I had done a tour to see the other spaces but time was an issue.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Only Iowa class I've seen is the New Jersey, as I crossed the Delaware river. Never been up close.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post