copaup
USS Wisconsin
God she's a big ship.

July 02, 2018, 08:23 AM
Newf
Great pics!

July 02, 2018, 09:33 AM
David Lee
Im always confused that BB64 is Mighty Mo. Where did you see her at copaup ? K Norfolk.
July 02, 2018, 10:29 AM
copaup
She’s at Norfolk. I went early on a weekday and for a period I was the only person below decks. I can tell you, its erie walking around a warship that looks like everyone just walked off if it. The half empty cup of coffee on the XO’s desk was a nice touch. There were donuts in the conveyor in the donut shop. I was actually glad when a tour group showed up, it was getting creepy down there.

I highly recommend a visit. Shes in much better shape than Alabama and hasnt been cut up any to open up museum space. You can only get to the engineering spaces or control rooms as part of an organized tour, but from what i saw the tour guides actually served on her and are a wealth of information and stories.

Also reccomended, spend the $25 and take the naval yards boat tour. You really cant fathom just how big a Nimitz or Ford carrier is until you see one in person from a small boat.
July 02, 2018, 07:27 PM
David Lee
Thank you. If I'm ever down there again, I would love to tour her. She is beautiful. I have seen photos of their teak decks and how well they were cared for.
July 03, 2018, 04:33 PM
comet24
Amazing shots.

When I was in Norfolk a few years back I walked around that ship. Very neat to see. Kinda wish I had done a tour to see the other spaces but time was an issue.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
July 03, 2018, 05:11 PM
C-Dubs
Great photos, thanks for sharing!

Only Iowa class I've seen is the New Jersey, as I crossed the Delaware river. Never been up close.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”