SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Mojave Desert in Spring
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Mojave Desert in Spring Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Spent some time in and around Joshua Tree Nat'l Park and Amboy, Ca last week. I actually went out to photograph the desert in bloom. On this day I only had an 18-55mm lens with me, not thinking I would want anything that didn't need a wide angle. But I came across a few chuckwallas and some other stuff.

I'm not sure what these are, but they were everywhere. Sometimes crawling over each other.

Tried to fly into my mouth.

These are everywhere, too.

I went for the spring colors. The Mojave got a lot of rain this winter, and even some snow in February. Makes for vibrant colors.

Harvester Ants on the move. They come out of the ground every night and make hub-cap sized ant hills. You will see little tufts of brush moving over the sand and they take those pieces of vegetation down into their tunnels.

Even the Desert Bighorn Sheep seemed to be rejoicing.

Twentynine Palms Marine base in the distance.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Spent a little time in Amboy, California. Went to old Route 66 and Roy's. I think "The Hills Have Eyes" was filmed here in part.

And we hiked out to Amboy Crater, an extinct volcano, and climbed to the top.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
did the poppy's bloom anywhere this year,
seems like they should be

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Very nice photos. Thanks for posting them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

And it's a darn good thing it didn't, too. That's a blister beetle. Arizona Blister Beetle.

Wonderful sets of photos. Thanks very much for posting.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post

Looks like jumping cholla cactus. That's some nasty shit right there; don't get anywhere near it.

ALWAYS take a pair of pliers with you when around this stuff.

One time a friend got some on the toe of his hiking boot. The more he tried to kick it off, the deeper the shit buried into his boot, until it found skin. Then the boot came off until we could pull it all out.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great pics Micropterus! That's a Desert Iguana beneath the Chuckwalla pics and a Zebratailed Sand Lizard beneath that. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

I'm not sure what these are, but they were everywhere. Sometimes crawling over each other.

These are caterpillars of the Whitelined Sphinx Moth (aka: Hummingbird Moth).

https://zoomeboshi.com/2017/03...pillar-anza-borrego/

That's a Blister Beetle! Its a good thing you didn't ingest it!!!

http://www.arizonensis.org/son.../lytta_magister.html

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
You see any NCR troopers out there?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Loved the collection of images. Good eye!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post