SIGforum
This time, I DID NOT get too close! (big pics)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/8310079544

August 18, 2018, 10:06 PM
Micropterus
This time, I DID NOT get too close! (big pics)
That whole DON'T TREAD ON ME thing and all.

Found this gorgeous Canebrake Rattlesnake crossing the road at Alligator River NWR this evening.

August 18, 2018, 10:19 PM
Mars_Attacks
NO.

no

no

nope

no

no

no

that's a no

no

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
August 18, 2018, 11:43 PM
jhe888
Handsome snake.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 19, 2018, 02:15 AM
CPD SIG
Im with Marz...
There's a WHOLE LOTTA NOPE in that picture!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy
August 19, 2018, 08:25 AM
Micropterus
Them eyes, tho!

It obvioulsy at one time had an injury to the tip of its nose that healed up. I wonder what did it? I understand they are not immune to their own venom. So maybe another rattler, cottonmouth or copperhead? A bobcat or opossum? Perhaps an angry, dying rat got one last bite in.

August 19, 2018, 08:33 AM
sns3guppy
Fantastic pictures.
August 19, 2018, 09:11 AM
rduckwor
He's been around for a while. Successful is the word I would use.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
August 19, 2018, 10:35 AM
CQB60
Great images. What camera / lens combo did you use?

August 19, 2018, 11:34 AM
az4783054
How high was the tree you were in to take those images? Big Grin

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.
August 19, 2018, 11:58 AM
bendable
I realize the value that those have on the eco system ,
but man , that skin would look awesome on the side of a nice leather rifle scabbard

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
August 19, 2018, 01:09 PM
Arty
What do you mean, you didn't get too close??! Looks pretty close to me. I keep looking for a picture of the mouth open showing fangs!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."
August 19, 2018, 02:26 PM
Micropterus
I was using my Nikon D7200 and a Nikkor AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED VR. That-is considered a kit lens, but its got great sharpness and a relative short focus distance of around 4 feet or so, so I can get in close and zoom in even closer. I was about 4-5 feet distant in the close ups. The snake appeared to be a little over 3 feet. About average for an adult. And it was very docile, unlike that Rat Snake I posted a few weeks ago. For the awful power they have in their venom, they don't appear to want to use it much.

August 19, 2018, 02:44 PM
CQB60
Great image capture from a kit lens. Impressive sharpness. As for the docile snake, reminds me of the adage, “ a lion doesn’t have to tell you it’s a lion”. Same applies to rattlers I suspect. Thanks for sharing...

August 19, 2018, 07:06 PM
Ironworker
I am a city boy and know nothing about snakes. I have no desire to see a snake, no matter how beautiful or harmless. When I look at that picture, my thought is not to shoot him with a camera, but with 4 or 5 rounds of birdshot. Is this a bad thought? Would it be wrong to shoot him as long as he is not bothering me? I am honestly asking for advice. I just joined a private gun club and have been told that I may see copperheads or rattlesnakes. Thank you. Ironworker.
August 19, 2018, 11:06 PM
Dusty78
Keep that nope rope away from me. No danger noodles for me

August 19, 2018, 11:08 PM
Dusty78
Ps the antivenom is $2.3k a shot and large adult males normally require a multile doses in the $30k ballpark. If I want to give it to one of my patients I have to call the health dept first and get approval.

August 20, 2018, 04:51 AM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:
I am a city boy and know nothing about snakes. I have no desire to see a snake, no matter how beautiful or harmless. When I look at that picture, my thought is not to shoot him with a camera, but with 4 or 5 rounds of birdshot. Is this a bad thought? Would it be wrong to shoot him as long as he is not bothering me? I am honestly asking for advice. I just joined a private gun club and have been told that I may see copperheads or rattlesnakes. Thank you. Ironworker.

There is absolutely no need to kill any snake that is not a direct threat. In fact, it's illegal in Virginia. They are non-game species and have legal protection. The other thing is that if they are present, they are eating things that would be far more problematic for you than a random snake.

August 20, 2018, 09:44 AM
jhe888
quote:
Originally posted by Ironworker:

Don't kill them if they are out away from people. They want nothing more than to stay away from people. If they aren't where people could encounter them readily, leave them alone.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
August 20, 2018, 10:26 AM
45 Cal
Yes that is a fine specimen,thanks for not hurting it.
as a young man I killed a few where we lived there were many,at old age I am sorry for it.
I was instructed to do the deed with a garden hoe,either kill it or an ass whipping from mother.
August 20, 2018, 11:13 AM
az4783054
People think of AZ having lots of rattlesnakes but I've seen more of them smashed on the road than moving around. People in AZ specifically target them crossing the road. I've only seen 4 or 5 in the wild since 1957 and I've worked all over the deserts in the state.

Snakes want nothing to do with humans. They sense us before we see them. They must instinctively know how dangerous we are. They eat the annoying bugs and rodents that do damage.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.