SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Next homemade storage box, this one is for a 1911A1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Next homemade storage box, this one is for a 1911A1 Login/Join 
Picture of bripro
posted
This is just a few pictures of another storage box I made with a theme. I purposely did it with real simple construction to keep with the look I’m going for. I originally had Phillips head screws but decided to find slotted instead to try to keep it looking older. A good suggestion a friend made was to drill a few holes in the side for knotted rope handles to mimic a larger crate. The pistol is an Auot Ordnance but someday perhaps a genuine surplus pistol may reside in it. If anyone has any recommendations for it or suggestions for the next one please let me know. Thanks for looking, Brian

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is cool. Do you cut the foam yourself or is it made that way? The cut lines are very nice.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bripro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
That is cool. Do you cut the foam yourself or is it made that way? The cut lines are very nice.

The form was actually precut. The pistol came in a cardboard box with this exact foam insert. I am about ready to try my first cutting of foam on a different project. I’ll report how it goes.

DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Posts: 155 | Location: United States | Registered: May 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
After cutting foam for a bunch of guitar case projects, someone told me 'everyone else uses hot wire cutters'.

This one uses a 24v 2.5amp transformer with a dimmer switch.
https://www.instructables.com/...ot-wire-foam-cutter/

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
I like this a lot, bang up job!
I wonder if you could try pop-rivets instead of the slotted screws?

If you enjoyed the work, I imagine you'd have no problem selling a few of these.

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perfect! I love it!

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
That's excellent.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's official Dance Professor
Picture of SRA
posted Hide Post
Outstanding project. It gives the weapon great texture.

My Fifteen Seconds of Fame

Posts: 3212 | Location: Utah, United States | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
Looks like you might have a side job in your future; Custom presentation boxes.

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I like it.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks sharp.

Posts: 636 | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Spieler
posted Hide Post
Outstanding. You could make a little side money building and selling those.

Posts: 2433 | Location: ATL South OTP | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post