SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My second Copperhead of the summer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My second Copperhead of the summer Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I found this guy crossing a country road in James City County, Virginia. I really did save his life. As I moved him off the side of the road, a guy slowed down and asked me if I was having car problems. I said I was just moving a snake off the road. He said, "You shoulda just run the bitch over." No thanks.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
You're an animal saint.

I run em over, then back up to get them a second time, because often once isn't enough.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I run em over, then back up to get them a second time, because often once isn't enough.

Yer doin' it wrong. The first time is to anchor them on the road. The second time is at speed and lock up the brakes and slide over them. Just to be sure.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Copperheads are the least likely of the venomous snakes to bite you. They are typically pretty chill. They may not bite even if stepped on. They also do not always envenomate when they bite. I'll take ten over one cottonmouth or canebrake rattler.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He sure is pretty.

And thanks for moving him. I've lived in places where there are plenty of venomous snakes most of my life. I've never been bitten once. Not even close.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a good looking snek.

My rule is this. If they are in my mowed area they are in my space. Out side of that live and let live.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Copperheads are the least likely of the venomous snakes to bite you. They are typically pretty chill. They may not bite even if stepped on. They also do not always envenomate when they bite. I'll take ten over one cottonmouth or canebrake rattler.

RMD

My experience is different.

This Copperhead was striking at me when I was 10 feet away. And kept striking as I moved him off the road. The last copperhead I found (I posted pics of that one, too) was the same way. These two were the bitingest snakes I have ever come across. Full of piss and vinegar.

The chillest venomous snakes I have ever come across is a Canebrake Rattler. I half think I could have picked him up. It coiled on the road and tucked his face behind his back and never even rattled.

As far as cottonmouths, I literally accidentally squatted over one, with my ass 8 inches from his head, and it never moved. I've picked them up on hooks and they just move about. I've only had one lazily mouth my snake hook.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I've found that copperheads are highly aggressive, striking hard and fast. Timber rattlers, on the other hand, have always seemed very laid back to me. I nearly sat on one a couple years ago, and he never rattled or offered to strike.

Cottonmouths, I just despise them. I remember fishing years ago on Santee Cooper and we had three to a boat, two fishing and one to man the shotgun on snake watch.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Of the three venomous snakes in Virginia, the one that I find most fascinating is the Cottonmouth. In my neck of the woods, it is by far the most common. But to me, the coolest.

Of all three of the snakes, the Cottonmouth is most likely to stand its ground when I approach. I've walked up to all three and the Canebrake (Timber) Rattlesnake and the Copperhead will try and get away. In my experience, the Cottonmouth never has. It will defend its spot and keep it once I step away. I can go back and hour later and its still there.

The Cottonmouth seems to look straight ahead at its adversary or prey. Its head follows me like radar. It keeps its head up and scopes me out from head to toe. But it has never struck at me. I've had them bite my snake hook and have seen venom drooling down my hook, but I've never had one go spastic like a Copperhead. The Cottonmouth is very deliberate.

The Cottonmouth is very inquisitive. It will swim up to you to scope you out. They will move to you and open their mouths. They don't always wait until you stumble on them. They seems to be unafraid of anything.

Of all the snakes, venomous and non-venomous I've encountered, the Cottonmouth seems the most intelligent. It looks like the lights are on and someone is home. It looks like it is thinking.

And their venom is particularly horrid. Copperhead has a blood toxin and are the least toxic of the three. Canebrakes and Cottonmouths have a blood and muscle toxin. Canebrakes in my area also have a neurotoxic component. But Cottonmouth also carry a bacteria that is known to cause gangrene. So not only do that destroy red blood cells, veins/arteries, and muscle tissue, you very well may develop gangrene as a result of a bite.

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Huffman:
I've found that copperheads are highly aggressive, striking hard and fast. Timber rattlers, on the other hand, have always seemed very laid back to me. I nearly sat on one a couple years ago, and he never rattled or offered to strike.

Cottonmouths, I just despise them. I remember fishing years ago on Santee Cooper and we had three to a boat, two fishing and one to man the shotgun on snake watch.

I’ve had the same experience with them here. I have a simple rule: One gets in the yard and I see it, it dies.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
Beautiful copperhead. Good on you for moving it off the road. The older I get the less I am inclined to needlessly kill anything.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frequent Denizen
of the Twilight Zone
Picture of SIGWolf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I found this guy crossing a country road in James City County, Virginia. I really did save his life. As I moved him off the side of the road, a guy slowed down and asked me if I was having car problems. I said I was just moving a snake off the road. He said, "You shoulda just run the bitch over." No thanks.

Good on you! How did you move it off the road? You mention a "snake hook"?

Posts: 17342 | Location: Northern Vermont | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGWolf:
Good on you! How did you move it off the road? You mention a "snake hook"?

I keep a snake/stump-ripper hook in my truck. It's essentially a very heavy, low flex True Temper golf club shaft with a steel hook welded to the end instead of a gold club head. I use it for flipping things over and picking up snakes.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
That snake is beautiful but I'm not getting anywhere near it Eek

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is crazy....wow

Posts: 119 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: December 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post