SIGforum
Like Pictures of Classic American Tractors?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/7730067264

November 03, 2019, 12:17 PM
TMats
Like Pictures of Classic American Tractors?
My sister-in-law was a Nebraska farm girl (she's still a Nebraska girl, just doesn't live on the farm any longer). Her dad collects and restores tractors, and has three barns full of them. One barn has projects, one has tractors that are mechanically restored, but not parade ready, and the last barn has tractors that are restored, painted and polished. These pictures are from the last barn.

He kind of specializes in Massey Harris, but as you can see he has tractors from most of the American manufacturers.

This one is from the second barn, not completely done cosmetically, but perfect running order. I just like “M”s

This is her dad's current favorite for tractor parades. It's a M-F 35 Deluxe. He likes it because it's usually the fastest tractor out there. He said it will easily run up to 28 mph. He used to race snowmobiles.

This one is pretty special. I promise you, there are a whole lot of farm kids who have never heard of a Sheppard. It's his most recent restoration.

This was my favorite, a Triple 5 MH. Really cool tractor. I think he has the entire number series of Massey Harris tractors. I'd have probably smiled if I knew my brother was going to take a picture.

He also has four our five completely restored tractors in one of the exhibition buildings at the fair grounds. One is a beautifully restored Allis Chalmers WC; I've always had a soft spot for ACs, and he's got a WD that he'll be starting on soon.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TMats,

November 04, 2019, 06:50 AM
henryaz

I used to attend the tractor pulls at the Montgomery County (MD) fair. In addition to the (heavily) modified class, they also had super stock, stock, and classic. Loved to see the old ones, and they pulled the sled very well. Nice pics, Tom.

When in doubt, mumble
November 04, 2019, 09:09 AM
BigSwede
I like it. I grew up working on dairy and pig farms in MI. Everybody had John Deere but I had a soft spot for Farmall an International. I think my favorite was an orange Allis-Chalmers similar to this one

https://www.mecum.com/lots/GF1...-allis-chalmers-220/

November 04, 2019, 03:14 PM
TMats
Glad a couple of you like them anyway. Those of us who frequent this Forum have a lot in common. Sometimes, I’m surprised at those interests we don’t share. Obviously, we’re a largely urban community.

November 04, 2019, 08:53 PM
PowerSurge
I love that old JD. Thanks for posting the pics!

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1
November 04, 2019, 09:05 PM
BamaJeepster
Awesome! My son and I were out working with our tractor pretty much all day today, he will love these pics when I show him. Our tractor is not vintage, it's a Kubota Smile

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
November 04, 2019, 09:10 PM
BamaJeepster
Found some pics of a few 'vintage' working tractors we have seen at friend's farms. These are definitely not for show, they still work pretty much every day!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams
March 31, 2020, 09:32 PM
Chris42
Own two John Deere tractors myself. Neither one is for show, but they are good, reliable machines. One is a ‘65 1020 and the other is a 110 tractor/loader/backhoe from 2003.

As far as the Sheppard, they were made here in Hanover, PA. R.H. Sheppard is still in business. They no longer make tractors, they make heavy duty power steering units. They have done contracts with the heavy truck companies as well as fire truck companies, etc. The family still owned and ran the company until just recently. It sold to a foreign company, but it appears that the Sheppard business is staying in town.

Besides tractors they also built Diesel engines for stationary applications.
March 31, 2020, 11:51 PM
92fstech
Both of my parents grew up on dairy farms (well, mom grew up on one and Dad worked one). Sadly, the farms got sold off long ago, but I fondly remember my first driving experience as a young kid was on an Allis Chalmers WD45 that belonged to the farmer that my dad worked for growing up. I still take my kids to the county fair every year to check out the tractor show. Thanks for the pics, they bring back good memories!
April 01, 2020, 05:31 AM
bendable
I saw a story on the news,just the other day about a fella in northern Wisconsin who called a buddy near DesMoines, Ia,. he wanted his buddy to go check out a tractor for sale for him. The guy in WI did not want to drive down if the tractor was a pile "o" junk. The buddy in Des Moine called him back and said Get down here now! The seller had 19 tractors. (1955 to 1965) for sale inside his pole barn . The guy bought all of the tractors.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
April 01, 2020, 05:51 AM
PHPaul
Grew up on a small farm - 120 acres - in central Michigan.

I can remember a John Deere H and a Farmall F20. By the time I was big enough to help out, we had a John Deere B and a McCormick Super W6 which is the wheatlands version of a Super M.

Over time, working for others, I've run a John Deere A, Co-op (Cockshutt) E3, John Deere 620, an Allis WC, and a Farmall M.

I've personally owned:

A 1938 Farmall F14. Had a ball resurrecting it from a fence row junker. Over time, didn't find it very useful and it was a lot like a Harley - About a 3:1 ratio between wrenching and using. Sold it. Lost my shirt.

1988 John Deere 750. Helluva tractor, amazing the work it would do for it's size. Bought it new, kept it until 2015, never put a nickle in it outside batteries and tires and one alternator. Would still have it, but I turned into a wimp in my old age and wanted something with power steering and a cab.

Pasquali 986. Year unknown, SWAG would be late 70's. 1 lunger diesel, 20 HP, 9 speed trans, 4 wheel drive and both differentials lock. Will climb a cow's face. Always starts. In 1st gear at idle you need a stop calendar to measure progress. WFO in 9th, it'll do over 20 MPH. With the middle-bender steering, it's not recommended. Got what I thought was a heckuva deal on it. Great trailer tugger, handy in the woods. Made a subsoiler for it. Run that thing right down until the hitch is dragging on the ground and that little shit doesn't even grunt. Unless I hit a BIG rock...

The replacement for the John Deere. 2015 Kubota B2650. Heat. A/C. Power steering. Live PTO. Hydro transmission. Front and rear windshield washers, fer crissake! Love this thing.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
April 03, 2020, 07:21 PM
flashguy
In 2009 I visited a Cousin in NW Missouri and we went to a tractor show in his home town. This is one of the old tractors on display there:
DSC_0313 by David Casteel, on Flickr
There are other photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157622958030407/.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
April 09, 2020, 07:35 PM
TMats
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
In 2009 I visited a Cousin in NW Missouri and we went to a tractor show in his home town. This is one of the old tractors on display there:

flashguy

WC, as I said above, I have a special affinity to Allis Chalmers tractors because an uncle that I was particularly fond of, had a WD when I was a kid.