SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    2017 Veggie, Fruit, and Herb Garden Pics
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Veggie, Fruit, and Herb Garden Pics Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Good looking cucumbers and zucchinis fellas!

I'm getting ready for 2nd planting with 3 varieties of tomatoes (left 2 columns), tomatillos (3rd column), and more marigolds (right half). Using my 2 aerogardens for lights.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23098 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
One of my cayenne peppers and one of my green peppers. They're finally flowering so hopefully I'll get some fruit off of them. I'll probably need to finish them indoors as our first frost is only about a month away.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
About half my tomatoes look like this. The f$@#ing squirrels eat them faster than I can pick them.

Luckily I've still gotten a bunch which were awesome. My peppers all turned out great. Green beans were too sporadic to get a bunch at the same time. Cucumbers did great at first, but always half way through season they die off. First run of radishes were perfect, second run were gritty/tough for some reason. Been on vacation, told neighbors to have at it, not sure what I'll find left when I get home.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ The birds are getting most of my tomatoes. I bought some PVC and netting to make a cage around them, but decided to not go to the trouble as they weren't really producing all that well anyway.

Cucumbers did, and are still doing, phenomenal. I canned up all I need several weeks ago and have been giving them away since. I'm getting 30-40 nice sized ones per week with no signs of them slowing down.

Spinach did fairly well and I've got some freeze-dried and/or frozen. Might do a another round of that this fall.

Beets are doing well and need to get those pulled and canned up next week.

Zucchini and spaghetti squash did well as well.

Corn, peas, beans, broccoli, and cauliflower did nothing. It was really strange actually. The plants themselves grew really well and looked fantastic, but they produced nothing. Not one head of broccoli or cauliflower, not one ear of corn, nothing. Oh well.

All in all, a pretty crappy garden year. I blame our very unusual heat wave this year. Nearly eight weeks of high 90s low 100s without a drop of rain. Add to that this is my first year with these raised beds and the soil was kind of crappy. Next year/this fall I'll add a bunch more peat moss, compost, and manure, and should have a much better year next year.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Next year/this fall I'll add a bunch more peat moss, compost, and manure, and should have a much better year next year.

Add the amendments and fertilizers the moment you pull plants for the year. Then the moment your ground unfreezes turn soil and add lime. This will allow it to break down a little over winter and the lime will counteract the acid produced by decomp.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'll probably need to finish them indoors as our first frost is only about a month away.

What is this thing called "frost". Smile

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I'll probably need to finish them indoors as our first frost is only about a month away.

What is this thing called "frost". Smile

It is that wonderful time of the year when this cursed heat goes away. Wink

I don't know how you guys do it down south.