SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    2017 Veggie, Fruit, and Herb Garden Pics
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Veggie, Fruit, and Herb Garden Pics Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Yesterday, I made my first harvest from my '17 garden, and thought I'd start a thread for pics of the Sigforum fruit, veggie, and herb harvest of '17.

My first harvest was approx. a dozen serrano peppers and half dozen jalapeno peppers. Here are the first of each:
image hosting 12mbcertificity.com

Today, I harvested my first tomato (husky cherry red) of the year, and it was both the juiciest and tastiest tomato I've eaten in '17.
image hosting without account

I planted my garden on March 19th so I'm pretty impressed that I'm already harvesting. The three varieties of tomatoes and three varieties of peppers were all the small sized plants that Lowe's sold. Things sure are growing faster than my garden in Calgary (I'd buy gallon size plants from the greenhouse and barely get a harvest before first frost).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You southerners suck.
Big Grin

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing that Montana is a Memorial Day weekend planting state.

Houston is actually a twice a year planting region. Summer will kill many things so you replant seeds before Labor Day in hopes of a Thanksgiving harvest.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You are way ahead of my and I thought I was early,I have only tomatoes for local market that opens this Saturday.
No ripe ones only green ones,I am probably three weeks out.
I started planting last of march and planted a couple rows ,the each week after planted a couple more each week,plan two more rows this week also.
I staged them this way as to not run out of stock to sell.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My garden is on the same schedule as yours 45 cal. Nothing yet to harvest, but plenty to be excited about.

Hope you enjoy the fruits of your labor tatortodd. They look delicious.

Posts: 220 | Location: ATL | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
You are way ahead of my and I thought I was early
my cherry plant is ahead of where I thought I'd be. 65 days from transplant would've been May 23rd. My roma and celebrity tomatoes are looking good, but they aren't 15 days early.

I should be eating burgundy beans and romaine by this weekend.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I'm guessing that Montana is a Memorial Day weekend planting state.

Pretty much, yeah. Locally here, lore is that we're safe once the snow is off of our highest peak. That could be anywhere from mid May to mid June. Usually though I start early with the broccoli, spinach, and other cold weather stuff. The other early starts will go in the greenhouse until safe. Still though, I won't get 'maters or peppers until late August if I'm lucky.

Posts: 19976 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Mine are still in the little cups in the house, until it gets warm enough to put them outside.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't grow anything from seed as is popular here for early harvest. April 15 is considered the last frost date in this part of Virginia. If you start seeds a few weeks ahead(usually indoors or covered) you get a great head start with edible produce early in the season. I've got some cherry tomatoes, some Parks Whoppers and some BigBoi hybrids in the ground so far. I also have five or six pepper plants and some pole beans planted. Depending on summer heat, I wont see anything until early July. Did some cucumbers via trellis this year also as they grow so fast and are hard for me to see on the ground.

No good pics yet....

Anybody doing pickling cucumbers in this part of the world?

Tatortodd, none of those serranos in the ground but I do have a ghost pepper plant. First time growing one as I can't eat the things and dont "want none!". Jr. has the plant under his control and he's more than welcome to it. Big Grin

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jackimoe:

Anybody doing pickling cucumbers in this part of the world?

Big Grin

I'm not in your part of the world, but I planted Boston pickling cucumbers last year. I was able to find a great recipe for spicy refrigerator pickles and people raved about them, though I'm just sorta 'meh' about pickles myself.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: EssKayR22,

Posts: 248 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: January 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I picked my first batch of cherry belle radishes today, and two were huge:
upload gambar

I've been told that the leaves/greens are good sauteed so I'm trying that as a side dish tonight.

I also harvested my first batch of romaine lettuce today. I usually harvest using the cut & come method so I continuously have romaine, but I harvested the entire plants as I had accidentally planted these seeds where I had intended to plant mojito mint.
upload gambar

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I got green beans in the ground today and pickling cucumbers in 6 hanging pots.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
First "green" bean harvest of '17 - blue lake and royal burgundy varieties.
image rucertificity.com

Well, that was unexpected. I steamed both types of "green" beans together, and when I pulled off the lid both varieties were green.

posted Hide Post
I did Asian "yard long" beans a couple years back. One of the varieties was the purple mosaic. Cooked up green just like all the rest.

Posts: 1063 | Location: hampton roads, va. | Registered: October 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chillin out
Picture of florida boy
posted Hide Post
We're picking lettuce and spinach, carrots and onions are doing well and green beans and cukes just started popping up thru the dirt yesterday. Tomatoes and peppers are about 4 weeks out and the squash and corn should pop out any day now. Will get some pics this week.

I practice Shinrin-yoku
It's better to wear out than rust out
Member NRA
Member Georgia Carry

Posts: 3811 | Location: Union County, Georgia | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Picked my first Celebrity tomato of '17:
photo storage

All of the other celebrities are much larger including one that is a day or two from being ripe. I foresee a BLT in my future this weekend with homegrown lettuce and celebrity tomato.

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure my planted garden will need a re-do. Since I planted we've had almost 12 inches of rain since May 1st, breaking a record set in 1980.

It's drowning.

Posts: 12915 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that Jeff

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'll finally be planting this weekend.

The fortress is complete and the raised beds are all built. Just need one more trailer load of good soil to put in them and then the planting. I do still need to get the drip irrigation set up, but no hurry on that. I'll get to it in the next few weeks.

posted Hide Post

I just noticed these two days ago. I can't remember what type of pepper plant it is. For some reason, the chickens like to peck at the ID tabs I put in the ground.