SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Remember the Alamo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remember the Alamo Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted
I am in San Antonio for a few days.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Very Cool.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12737 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
VERY cool place. My wife and I attended a class at Thunder Ranch TX back in the mid 90s and stayed in a bed and breakfast in San Antonio for a couple of days before.

The Alamo and the River Walk were really fun to see. San Antonio is one of my favorite cities in the US.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1888 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I had to spend a week in San Antonio for a seminar in, I think 2005, and stayed in a hotel right downtown, Marriott I believe, and I asked the person at the desk how to get to the River Walk and she said to take the elevator to the lower level. Okay. I did and there it was, going right through the building. Cool!.

The next day I asked how to get to the Alamo, and was told to go out the main entrance, turn left and go to the end of the block and turn left again, so I did that and to my shock, there it was!. I just assumed it out of town in the middle of nowhere. Big Grin

I loved that town and plan on going again some day. Good people and great food.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have been there, but it has been a while, 1964 to be exact. Great part of TX history. I went to high school not far from there, near Austin.

Posts: 10770 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
They still have a bunch of cops around 24-7?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Went to a Kubota dealer meeting a few years back in San Antonio. Kubota secured the Alamo for evening festivities which was pretty cool.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12928 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I had to spend a week in San Antonio for a seminar in, I think 2005, and stayed in a hotel right downtown, Marriott I believe, and I asked the person at the desk how to get to the River Walk and she said to take the elevator to the lower level. Okay. I did and there it was, going right through the building. Cool!.

The next day I asked how to get to the Alamo, and was told to go out the main entrance, turn left and go to the end of the block and turn left again, so I did that and to my shock, there it was!. I just assumed it out of town in the middle of nowhere. Big Grin

Jim

I am attending a conference at that hotel.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:

Jim

I am attending a conference at that hotel.

Just down and to the right of the Alamo is/was a little mom pop tex-mex café that had the best Huevos Rancheros I've ever had, bar none. I ate breakfast there 3 days in a row. Spent a few evenings at the Martini Bar on the River Walk as well. Fun place for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In 1991 I visited San Antonio and stayed in the old Menger Hotel, a historic building that is right across the street from the Alamo. Was a 2-block walk to the Riverwalk. My photos of the Menger Hotel: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157626142208797/
My photos of the Alamo (1991): https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157626142369515/
My photos of the Riverwalk: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157626142511113/

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
San Antonio doesn't look much different now, Flashguy. Nice photos.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, jhe888. I'm glad it hasn't changed a lot. I was in a lot better shape in 1991 and I walked the Riverwalk® all the way to the dam.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Finding the
sweet spot
posted Hide Post
My wife and I just got back from San Antonio. I have elderly family members there and we try to make an effort to visit a couple times a year. I love the live oak trees and the history of the city.
Sean

------------------------------------------
Just because you can, doesn't mean
you should.

Posts: 963 | Location: KCMO | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I interned in San Antonio. Worked at least 80 hours per week. The Audie Murphy VA was brand new and deer still grazed in front of the hospital. Good memories. Having seen the 1960 movie, The Alamo, I was disappointed in the original Alamo. People told me the movie set was more impressive. In any case I enjoyed the tour. The Mission Tour was special, and they did a fine job with the Paseo Del Rio. Bexar County Hospital, the Health Sciences Center etc. had top notch training.
Thanks for the pics.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thanks for the pics.
If that was intended for me--you're welcome!

I also visited San Antonio in 2007 and got more photos of the Alamo then: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157665359633581/. These are also part of a larger Collection about the city, which includes a few more of the Riverwalk®: https://www.flickr.com/photos/...s/72157632773792607/.

flashguy

Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I read a book about the event, made me feel like I was there. It might have been within Michener's "Texas".

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I've been to San Antonio once and really liked the town.

I can't remember the hotel, but coincidentally, the NBA All-Star game was that week and the players were also staying at the same hotel. I had to run a gauntlet of security to get into the hotel each day. I'm sure I shared the elevator with some big name NBA players, but not being a fan, I didn't know who any of them were. Razz

The River Walk and the Alamo are not to be missed.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6356 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
For those that don't know, the Alamo that remains is the chapel (which is in the first photo over my shoulder) and what they call the Long Barracks, a long adobe building running parallel to the face of the chapel. In the second photo, I am in a courtyard in front of the barracks looking at the chapel. The chapel was the southeast corner of the Alamo walled compound, but not within the main walls. The walls were about 150 feet by 480 feet. At the time of the battle, an earthwork wall extended from the corner of the walls to the chapel, however. Despite the John Wayne movie, they didn't fight from the top of the chapel facing forward, but from the walls (and earthwork ramps made on the inside of the walls) and the earthwork wall.

The walls are long gone, although some portions of the base of the walls have been excavated. The whole thing is right in the main part of downtown San Antonio, so the interior of the compound is now under streets and modern buildings.

http://www.sonsofdewittcolony....pound/tourframe.html

https://www.google.com/maps/pl...259671!4d-98.4861419

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Brings back many memories.
Mom still lives there in S.A., and I go visit my old stomping grounds to see what's shaking....

Posts: 5012 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
It's smaller than what one would expect. Hopefully it remains standing for generations and not become another historic monument that offends a minority group.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post