SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Bobwhite Quail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bobwhite Quail Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I came across a quail hen sitting on a log in a creek. All by herself, apparently. I got as a close as I could to get a picture. Then I took another step. BOOM! The covey I never saw exploded around me.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice photo.

Too bad you didn't have your shotgun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
this place you go walk around in has to be one of the coolest wildlife habitats I've ever seen. is this still alligator river nwr?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes. I try and go as much as I can. 2020 travel restrictions kept me out of NC for much of spring and early summer. So I've tried to make up for that loss in the last few months.

Alligator River, Pocosin Lakes and Lake Mattamuskeet. If you've never explored these areas, they are worth visiting. You can go into these areas for the day and if you get out onto the trails, may not see another person, and certainly not hear a car go by the whole time you are there.

The cool part is right now the NWR is transitioning to a waterfowl habitat. They are starting to flood many of the agricultural fields for waterfowl. This winter, there will be tens of thousand of ducks, geese and swans in the fields.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Not much gets the ole heart racing much better than an unseen covey exploding under your feet does it? Smile

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I have a nice little 28ga that can fix that issue Smile

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Not much gets the ole heart racing much better than an unseen covey exploding under your feet does it? Smile

You're right, not much. I've only hunted quail a couple of times. But I've flushed a lot of coveys by accident hunting deer or fall turkeys. Nothing sets the heart off like flushing a covey by accident when you are preoccupied with something else.

But this place, this place has lots of quail. You'll see them running across roads, trails or through fields up ahead if you're on foot. Here's one I got a picture in July 2019.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Out here, we have Gambel's Quail. They are all over our property. They only fly when they really, really have to. They prefer to walk/run very fast instead.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Nice.

Here in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina, we also have some Chukkar Partridge. They aren't native to this area but escaped from hunting preserves and went wild. I've seen them in a local shopping center parking lot, of all places.

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
So glad to see you are seeing and flushing quail lately. They have about disappeared in a lot of this country and efforts to save them are ongoing. I hope it's working.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
You do get some great pictures, always enjoy your posts. Here're my local Gambel's Quail behind my yard. tough to get closeups, they move off quickly, rarely fly.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I miss the Arizona quail

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54502 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post