SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by raggedhole:
Isn't that aKimber 82M Government Target.
Single shot 22lr.
Did yours have the box knife "razor cut" in the stock...?

One does have a slight one ,one in pic.
The other one I have in box does not.
They got that out of the back and I made sure Leon did not cut too deep.
1200 sand paper and two passed took the scratch away ,it is not visible.
The were some on the rack that looked like crap with the deep cuts.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
The title of this thread Did say “Greasy”. Haven’t seen a greasy one yet, so here is one.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Wingspar ,gal. of kerosene and it will clean right up,my last one I used my parts washer,I run K-1 in it,dangerous but hell of a lot cheaper that the correct fluid.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I use brake cleaner to remove cosmoline. Melts it right off. Just don't use it on wood, painted metal, or plastic. And be sure to oil the metal well afterwards, since the brake cleaner leaves it bone dry.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
Actually, those photos are about 4 months old. Mineral Spirits cleaned it up real nice. I used a hair dryer on the wood. Took some time with the hair dryer, but it worked and didn’t put a lot of heat on the wood as I moved it around before it got too hot.

Odd, but I took more photos of it before I cleaned all the grease. Without getting the camera back out, here is one cleaned up. Shoots nice too.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
1916 BSA:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of Mil-Surp blades. A Brazilian Model '08 and a last ditch Arisaka.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Not greasy...but mil-surp...
Picked this up a little while back from a fellow Cowboy Action shooter that was "dumping" his non-cowboy guns...
He had this as well as an RFI full length rifle...both in 7.62 NATO...I wanted them both...however the rifle was spoken for Frown...lucky I got this one Smile
Bore is perfect.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool conversion. I guess is .308 as the mag looks to short for a BAR box. One of the early rifles, perhaps a No.1 had issues with it's trigger being pinned to the stock instead of the trigger guard or other metal part and, with heat and moisture like jungle fighting it caused a problem with poor sear engagement.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Actually from what I understand the RFI Ishapore rifles were not conversions...but were manufactured new chambered in 7.62 NATO starting in the early '60s...the rifle came with 4 boxes of Wolf .308 Winchester steel case ammo and two boxes of PMP South African 150 grain SP...I'm currently working a swap for some NATO 7.62X51...NOT going to run .308 Winchester through it because of the generous chamber measurements. The bore looks perfect so it should be a good shooter

Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Actually from what I understand the RFI Ishapore rifles were not conversions...but were manufactured new chambered in 7.62 NATO starting in the early '60s.

That is correct. They are known as the Ishapore 2A1.

However, by "conversion", I believe he was referring to the fact that your 2A1 rifle has been converted into a carbine. 2A1s were not originally produced in that configuration. That was done at some point later on.

Several importers and gun companies got a hold of these Ishapore 2A1s and produced a variety of modified shortened versions. These styles of shortened carbine conversions were done by Navy Arms and Gibbs Rifle Company, among others.

Original 2A1s would have looked like this:

Some of the 2A1 aftermarket conversions are in the style of the Enfield jungle carbines:

Others, like yours, are simply shortened 2A1s, sometimes referred to as "bulldogs" or "tanker Enfields":

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
David Lee, Roque...thank you for the info Smile...I really do wish I had been able to pick up both rifles...
I remember seeing them in the '90s in The Shotgun News...but at the time I did not order one...so I was happy to get this one.

Jimmy Buffet

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My old M1 Carbine. You can still just barely make out the inspector's stamp. Story is that it followed my uncle home from Korea. Not sure about that, but I do know that it was possessed by my father since at least the 50's.

I do believe that it is a rebuild. Does anyone know if they put rebuilds back into service after WW2? Serial # dates it to June '43.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I do believe that it is a rebuild. Does anyone know if they put rebuilds back into service after WW2? Serial # dates it to June '43.

Yes. USGI M1 Carbines were only produced during WW2. But these WW2-era carbines were then refurbished and upgraded after the war, and continued in service through Korea and into the early stages of Vietnam.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good to know, thanks.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
David Lee, Roque...thank you for the info Smile...I really do wish I had been able to pick up both rifles...
I remember seeing them in the '90s in The Shotgun News...but at the time I did not order one...so I was happy to get this one.

I wonder if the stripper guide will work with the 7.62 rounds? I sorta doubt it but still..I can imagine it would be a little shoulder thumper if a lot of shooting was done. It's pretty cool.

Here's 2 more questions about the carbine. What box magazine did they use in this? And why does there appear to be extra heavy steel to the trigger guards? No edge break around it's parimeter? Almost as if they did not finish machining the trigger guard. Maybe I am just not used to seeing this and it's normal.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Here's 2 more questions about the carbine. What box magazine did they use in this? And why does there appear to be extra heavy steel to the trigger guards? No edge break around it's parimeter? Almost as if they did not finish machining the trigger guard. Maybe I am just not used to seeing this and it's normal.

As mentioned above, the 2A1 was a new design by the Indians, only based off the SMLE. It was designed around the .308 round. They're not converted .303 SMLEs.

The different .308 box magazine was part of the new design, as was the different trigger guard/magazine well piece. They are not interchangeable with SMLE parts. They were not borrowed from another rifle.

quote:
I wonder if the stripper guide will work with the 7.62 rounds? I sorta doubt it but still.

The stripper clip guides do work, using the standard 7.62 NATO stripper clips used by the M14, FAL, etc. That was incorporated into the new design.

sick puppy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

The rifle itself has been rebuilt with all the post war upgrades. Adjustable rear sight and safety lever instead of the safety button. Bayonet lug with what I'm going assume is a type III front sling swivel.

What's highly unusual is the stock itself. The WRA GSD arsenal cartouche on the stock is for a Winchester rifle. It's a high wood two rivet stock, which should have been cut down and a four rivet hand guard installed along with the rebuild. Every time I think I've seen every combination of M1 carbine out there something like this pops up.

Are there any markings on the other side of the stock, and who was the manufacturer of that particular carbine?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here's the latest addition to my USGI rifle collection, a M1917 Enfield that I picked up today. It's a late production rifle made in January 1919 at the Eddystone plant, one of the last few thousand rifles produced before production was halted.

As a result, it was produced too late to serve in WW1, and it likely never saw much service with the US military. But interestingly, it shows proof of Canadian service. A large number of M1917s were sold by the US to Canada and Great Britain in the interwar years and the early years of WW2. This rifle is stamped twice with the Canadian military "broad arrow in a C" stamp, once on the side of the buttstock, and once near the front of the magazine on the underside of the stock. It also bears a stock stamp of "COTC 29", which is a rack number from the Canadian Officer Training Corps. At some point, it was used by Canadian officer cadets for either marksmanship training or as a drill rifle.

Further hallmarks of Canadian service are the serial number stamped into the bolt (the bolts on USGI rifles were not numbered), and the remnants of a roughly three inch band of red paint on the front of the stock and front handguard. The British Commonwealth militaries painted red bands near the muzzle on any .30-06 rifles, to make it immediately recognizable that they did not use the standard British .303 cartridge.

It's possible that this rifle went on to serve with the post-WW2 Danish military, as many of the British and Canadian M1917s were sent to equip the rebuilt armed forces of Denmark after the end of the war. But it doesn't have any of the distinctive Danish modifications, so I'll likely never know for sure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,