SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Greasy Old Mil-Surp Thread Login/Join 
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted
Post 'em if you got 'em.

Stories always welcome.

Left to right:

A 1942 Fazarkley/Ishapore refirb. Got it from AIM for $39.95. I originally thought I overpaid. It was so bad I thought about a return, but figured the postage wasn't worth it. I swear it was used as a stir stick for the drum of diesel oil, sand and whatever they used to "preserve" them. After about a month of soaking and scrubbing, realized there wasn't really any paint left. The wood fore ends were punky soft. Replaced them, kept the butstock, and hit it with Moly-Resin. (I know ghetto...but it was 39 bucks!<Macklemore>Wink) Not the best shooter, but need to play with that damn fore end tension.

Next is a Yugo stamp-over K98. I found some minor parts that still have the Waffant(sp) eagle stamps. They suggest maybe around 1939. Hard to say though. It could be a mutt. Peep sight is an add on as this has been my back-up deer rifle for a number of years.

Last is a Czech VZ-24. Bought it as you see it. I like the wood. Great sharp bore, but a little dark. Need to have the eyes of a 20 year old to shoot the little v-notch. That sling attachment on the grip isn't the most comfy either. Everything matches on this one. It looks like the 50 rounds I put through it have been the only ones.

What YOU got?

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice photos of some nice rifles, entropy. Is that a muzzle brake on your K98?

quote:
Originally posted by entropy:
What YOU got?

A bunch. Primarily Mausers, Mosins, and USGI rifles, with a few random others thrown in. Most of which I (sadly) don't have photos of yet.

Here are a few that I do have pics of:

Smith-Corona M1903A3

Inland M1 Carbine

Springfield Armory M1 Garand

Yugoslavian capture/refurb K98

Czechoslovakian Vz. 24

Polish Wz. 29 (need a better photo)

Yugoslavian M24/47

Finnish M39

Not shown:
- Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher M95 carbine
- Hungarian Steyr-Mannlicher M95 carbine
- BSA No. 1 Mk. III Enfield
- 1915 Izhevsk M91
- 1895 Izhevsk M91/30
- 1943 Izhevsk M38
- 2x 1945 Izhevsk M44s
- 1926 Tula M91/30
- 1935/36 Tula M91/30
- Norinco SKS (not a true milsurp, but a commercial copy of a surplus rifle)

I need to get photos of the rest of them.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
It's a spring loaded muzzle protector. Oh geez, forgot the SKS. I'll have to get a pic of that. It sits in the back of the safe like the stepchild. Unissued though. I'd love to find an Enfield Mk. III. I really like the endcap look on those.

"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To celebrate the end of the Long Gun Registry in Canada (it was useless, we scrapped it, much to the dismay of leftists Smile ) I went into my LGS and purchased this SKS for $200, which is what a Russian SKS goes for here, some refurbished, some unissued
[/IMG]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: acidjazz,

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Sweet SKS Cool

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1899 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Even sweeter price. Refurbed Russian SKSs run about 3x that here in the US ($500-$600). Unrefurbed Russian SKSs run even higher ($600-$1000).

In addition to SKSs, Canadians have access to a plethora of relatively inexpensive Norinco M14s and Soviet SVT-40s, both of which are pricey in the US ($1000+) since they can no longer be imported here. They also get good prices on Soviet and Chinese surplus 7.62x39 ammo, which also cannot be imported into the US any longer.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a local shop running a special on SVT-40s for 250 dollars CAD (237.50 USD-ish). Not bad.
We do have a lot of Norinco products Russian SKS aside, I only own American and Western European guns. I feel a lot better about supporting a man or woman in smalltown, USA or smoothly-run Austrian production lines than slaves in Guangdong hastily assembling guns across the street from the Mattel toy factory.
Also, I can't bring myself to put something Chinese that close to my face, maybe prejudiced but liability is not in their vocabulary apparently. Wink

Some military surplus and Chinese prices up here:
1440 rounds of 7.62x39 milsurp; 240 bucks

Local deal for a Norinco 1911A1 and 1,000 (thousand) rounds of .45 ACP - 500.00

I'd trade it all for some CCW though. Smile

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of triage1998
posted Hide Post
This is an Irish Contract No4 Mk2 Lee Enfield I picked up in July of 2000. It was in the original wrap and soaked in cosmoline.

Kevin Nightingale
Nightingale Leather
Maker of Quality Handmade Holsters

https://nightingaleleather.com/

Posts: 1019 | Location: Medina, Ohio | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of triage1998
posted Hide Post
This is a Springfield M1 Garand with a Danish VAR barrel in a Danish beech stock I picked up at the CMP back in 2004

Kevin Nightingale
Nightingale Leather
Maker of Quality Handmade Holsters

https://nightingaleleather.com/

Posts: 1019 | Location: Medina, Ohio | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by triage1998:
This is an Irish Contract No4 Mk2 Lee Enfield I picked up in July of 2000. It was in the original wrap and soaked in cosmoline.

Big chunk of awesome right there.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Indeed.

Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Wow. What a nice Enfield. Can you expand on the "Irish contract" bit? Is it a 2-groove?

posted Hide Post
Sorry about the crappy image. I just started my Photobucket account after numerous requests (one, actually) and used my cellphone to shoot my Springfield Trapdoor:

P.S. Finally got it re-sized, it's easier on the eyes, now! Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newtoSig765,

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
newtosig,that is a fine piece of work,I have one the factory reworked and made a garrison rifle out of.this is the first one left with all the stuff on it I have ever seen .

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I picked it up at an antiques shop about 15 years ago. It cleaned up real nice, with a good bore and action. Even the wood seems almost perfect.

I picked up all the components and dies to load some BP rounds about 10 years ago, but have yet to shoot it. One of these days... Cool

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can you expand on the "Irish contract" bit?

Exactly like it sounds. Those were a run of 50,000 No. 4 Mk. 2 Enfield rifles produced at the Royal Ordnance Factory Fazakerley in the early 1950s on contract for the Republic of Ireland. Most of these "Irish Contract" rifles were never used, and sat in storage until being sold on the surplus market in the 1990s. So they're often in new/unissued condition, with many still in the original mummy wrap.

A large portion of the No. 4 Mk. 2 rifle production was intended for export, with the rifles primarily going to current and former British Commonwealth nations and territories like Ireland, South Africa, Singapore, Burma, Hong Kong, and various African and Carribean countries.

quote:
Is it a 2-groove?

Two groove barrels were a wartime expedient. By the time the No. 4 Mk. 2 rifles were being made in the 1950s, they had switched back to the standard five groove barrels.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Here are some photos of the rest of my milsurp rifle collection. They're a bit dark, but it's the best I could do in the time I had.

Norinco SKS

1944 Izhevsk M44

1944 Izhevsk M44

1943 Izhevsk M38

1935/36 Tula M91/30 (originally stamped 1935, then overstamped with 36; likely a very late 1935 production rifle that wasn't completed and accepted until 1936)

1926 Tula M91/30

I love the markings on this one. Much more detailed than the later simplified markings. The text reads:
Foremost
Ordnance
Factory
(of the) USSR
at Tula

1895 Izhevsk M91/30 (It started life as a M91 Dragoon and was later converted to M91/30 configuration in the 30s, 40s, or 50s.)

It's the oldest M91/30 I've ever personally seen. Pre-1900 M91 Dragoons converted to M91/30 configuration are pretty uncommon. Most converted Dragoons are dated in the 1910s and 1920s.

1915 Izhevsk M91

This was used by the Bulgarians after WW1. They scrubbed or pinged out all of the Imperial Russian markings, and applied some of their own markings.

Polish Wz. 29 Mauser

I'm not sure of the date of manufacture, since the receiver markings were scrubbed by the Poles prior to it being sent as aid to the Republicans during the Spanish Civil War.

1937 Birmingham Small Arms SMLE

It's actually a BSA commercial Enfield that was accepted into military service when supplies of military contract rifles ran short. So it has both commercial and military markings.

1915 Hungarian Steyr-Mannlicher M95 Stutzen carbine

1916 Austrian Steyr-Mannlicher M95 rifle (cut down in the 1930s to carbine length)

Interestingly, the markings show that this Austrian-made M95 was not used by the Austro-Hungarian Imperial Army like most M95s. Instead, it was used by the Hungarian Honvédség, which was the Hungarian territorial army. Both Austria and Hungary had home defense armies, independent of the joint Imperial Army.

And my sole milsurp handgun, a 1941 Tula M1895 Nagant

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RogueJSK,

posted Hide Post
quote:

And my sole milsurp handgun, a 1941 Tula M1895 Nagant

Pretty specimens, but I guess the Russians never heard about cylinder gap...

Do you get alot of powder spray when you shoot it?

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Naaaaa --

Welder's helmet and asbestos gloves took care of it! Wink

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Thanks! I picked it up at an antiques shop about 15 years ago. It cleaned up real nice, with a good bore and action. Even the wood seems almost perfect.

I picked up all the components and dies to load some BP rounds about 10 years ago, but have yet to shoot it. One of these days... Cool

I carried mine to one of our shoots,I shot a few times and some of the folks there shot it some.
Them fellas they made that for must not have had any necks,I just could not get a good cheek weld and I was a pis poor shot with mine.
i did find some cowboy action rounds for mine,that was several years and they were still a buck a pop.
I do cast and load for it,just not shoot it.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post