SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Finally saw one the rarest large mammals in North America - the Red Wolf
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally saw one the rarest large mammals in North America - the Red Wolf Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/All...abitat/red_wolf.html

At Alligator River NWR today.

I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing at what seemed like a half mile away (probably more like 250 yards or so). Still wasn't quite sure until I processed my pictures. Turns out it was an extremely rare and critically endangered Red Wolf.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!! While it doesn't really count, the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma is one of the only zoos breeding them. I've seen them many times there. What's neat is that at night you can hear them howling at the moon from over the Sound from far out on the water.

You take great photos!!!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

You take great photos!!!!

Thanks. That was the first picture I took on the NWR that day. I had my camera set on auto/vibration reduction. I am zoomed to a full 300mm which needs light and produces blur. Light was not great. I wish I could have had a better mount and longer exposure time and lower ISO.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kampfhamster
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.

Posts: 765 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: September 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Since he's so rare you may want to contact the wildlife people and send them a pic. They may not know he even exits there. Great pic btw!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Since he's so rare you may want to contact the wildlife people and send them a pic. They may not know he even exits there. Great pic btw!

They know they're there. The Red Wolf was expirated from North Carolina but has been reintroduced to Alligator River NWR. Almost all the adults on the Refuge have radio and/or GPS-satellite tracking collars. I would be very surprised if the one in this picture didn't have a GPS collar on.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. It is amazing to see something like that in the wild.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is tremendous.

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Beautiful, but it belongs in far northern Canada.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
The Red Wolf is a southern and eastern wolf. Not native to Canada at all.

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
The Red Wolf is a southern and eastern wolf. Not native to Canada at all.

My point is we don't need any wolves in the lower 48.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Yellowstone personnel would beg to differ. Without the wolf population, grazing animals caused havoc to that ecosystem over decades.

Thanks Micropterus for posting the pictures, which I found fascinating.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
I grew up near there. Moved away after high school. Wolves and bears are prevalent there. Nice catch on that one.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2745 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
^^^^ Yellowstone personnel would beg to differ. Without the wolf population, grazing animals caused havoc to that ecosystem over decades.

Thanks Micropterus for posting the pictures, which I found fascinating.

All I’ll agree to is that we do not agree on this. SSS.

FBLM LGB!