Finally saw one the rarest large mammals in North America - the Red Wolf

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/7020025364

November 23, 2019, 07:25 PM
Micropterus
Finally saw one the rarest large mammals in North America - the Red Wolf
https://www.fws.gov/refuge/All...abitat/red_wolf.html

At Alligator River NWR today.

I wasn't quite sure what I was seeing at what seemed like a half mile away (probably more like 250 yards or so). Still wasn't quite sure until I processed my pictures. Turns out it was an extremely rare and critically endangered Red Wolf.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

November 23, 2019, 08:23 PM
enidpd804
Beautiful animal.

Warren

https://www.policeone.com/columnists/warren-wilson/

www.defensivetrainingservices.com
November 23, 2019, 10:29 PM
Loswsmith
Beautiful!! While it doesn't really count, the Point Defiance Zoo in Tacoma is one of the only zoos breeding them. I've seen them many times there. What's neat is that at night you can hear them howling at the moon from over the Sound from far out on the water.

You take great photos!!!!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
November 24, 2019, 08:03 AM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

You take great photos!!!!

Thanks. That was the first picture I took on the NWR that day. I had my camera set on auto/vibration reduction. I am zoomed to a full 300mm which needs light and produces blur. Light was not great. I wish I could have had a better mount and longer exposure time and lower ISO.

November 24, 2019, 08:46 AM
Kampfhamster
Beautiful!

The citizen watches the watchman, not the taxpayer.
November 24, 2019, 03:32 PM
fiasconva
Since he's so rare you may want to contact the wildlife people and send them a pic. They may not know he even exits there. Great pic btw!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra
November 24, 2019, 03:54 PM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
Since he's so rare you may want to contact the wildlife people and send them a pic. They may not know he even exits there. Great pic btw!

They know they're there. The Red Wolf was expirated from North Carolina but has been reintroduced to Alligator River NWR. Almost all the adults on the Refuge have radio and/or GPS-satellite tracking collars. I would be very surprised if the one in this picture didn't have a GPS collar on.

November 25, 2019, 02:29 PM
jhe888
That is cool.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 26, 2019, 11:27 AM
patw
Gorgeous. It is amazing to see something like that in the wild.
November 26, 2019, 11:56 AM
TGA
That is tremendous.
December 01, 2019, 05:18 PM
coloradohunter44
Beautiful, but it belongs in far northern Canada.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
December 01, 2019, 07:16 PM
Micropterus
The Red Wolf is a southern and eastern wolf. Not native to Canada at all.

December 10, 2019, 09:35 PM
coloradohunter44
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
The Red Wolf is a southern and eastern wolf. Not native to Canada at all.

My point is we don't need any wolves in the lower 48.

FBLM LGB!
December 10, 2019, 11:08 PM
Dakor
^^^^ Yellowstone personnel would beg to differ. Without the wolf population, grazing animals caused havoc to that ecosystem over decades.

Thanks Micropterus for posting the pictures, which I found fascinating.
December 11, 2019, 07:43 PM
got2hav1
I grew up near there. Moved away after high school. Wolves and bears are prevalent there. Nice catch on that one.

JEREMIAH 33:3
December 13, 2019, 11:12 PM
coloradohunter44
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
^^^^ Yellowstone personnel would beg to differ. Without the wolf population, grazing animals caused havoc to that ecosystem over decades.

Thanks Micropterus for posting the pictures, which I found fascinating.

All I’ll agree to is that we do not agree on this. SSS.

FBLM LGB!