New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Cans Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
Am I the only one sick of new plastic gas cans with safety spouts and no air vents? The kind that chug chug chug when you have to tip them over to get gas out and end up sloshing gasoline as a result. I decided to retire my plastic cans and use them only if I have to stock up on gas if a tropical storm or hurricane is coming. I decided to invest in a couple of quality steel cans. $65 each from Amazon. A 1 gallon for my 2-stroke gas/oil and a 5 gallon for my mowers and tractor.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I found one of those Justrite cans next to a trash dumpster after my neighbors moved. Guess they were afraid to put it in their U Haul trailer. Kind of bundlesome but nowhere near as bad as the idiotic EPA mandated spouts on the new plastic cans, which I think are actually dangerous to use.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Great cans. Over the years, I have accumulated all four colors (with appropriate fuel/fluid in each) in 5 gallon variety, plus a 2.5 gallon red for gas that is easier to handle on small stuff. Two yellows for diesel for my tractor.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I got two old jeep jugs that have rust in them. Hate to toss them. Thinking I could coat them. I need to look them over again.
Beautiful cans btw

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You have a pretty sweet can.

May I touch it?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
You have a pretty sweet can.

May I touch it?

You gotta shuck some dollas my way.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Those look like the HK of gas cans, congrats. I appreciate good quality equipment and those look like good stuff.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Very lovely can you have. I don’t see an air vent though.

My favorites are the older plastic ones, pour spout with an air vent rear. Mine are all older or modified.

When they get done draining the swamp, maybe we can relax the EPA rules on fuel cans?

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
Those are heavy duty! I use the 5 gallon VP racing cans and the smaller press the button style to fill cans for 2 stroke mix. They work well.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Very lovely can you have. I don’t see an air vent though.

The lid is the vent. Fume pressure against the spring causes it to open and vent.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Never thought I would have gas can envy

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have liked to bought a few cans before they switched them, but I wasn't in the loop to know they were changing.

New epa ones suck ass...

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I have the exact same two. Great cans.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well, crap. I may have to get a 1 and a 5 gallon. I have one of those sweet Lexington Container NATO 5-gallon cans, but the spout sucks on it. Other than that, it is a great can.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17244 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have three of the Eagle Safety Cans

Posts: 15 | Registered: April 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
You guys got me again. I am a sucker for well made, quality equipment (See Wyeth-Scott More Power Puller), so I bought a 2.5 gal Type II can from Amazon.com. It was delivered today. Maybe it's the color red that attracts me.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice! A local hardware store has 'retro gas can spouts' to replace the ones built back in the day. The package has bold print that says:
Not for use with gas cans made after (whenever) bla bla bla...
My only problem was that I don't have the purchase receipts and can't remember when each one was made... Get confused...

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I just can't believe anyone knows when they bought their gas can. I just find mine along the roads. Best time to go hunting is on Sunday when the party crowd goes drinking. They run out of gas on the way home so they have no choice but to buy a can. Then they seem to just abandon it along the roads. Drive slow with a sharp eye out for game. Even the ones that seem damaged can be holding a good lid/spout. My cheap and poor upbringing require me to bring along the can even if I reject the can do to damage. If the other parts look bad I leave it where it was.

I do still have my dad's vintage 1950 ternplate can. Clearly unsafe because its pained a dark red (might have aged to that). Maybe they used thicker tin in those days. No rust inside I can see, and none on the outside. It'll be a sorry day when I've got to let that one go.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post