SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    What did you photograph today?
Page 1 ... 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 ... 146
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you photograph today? Login/Join 
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted Hide Post
Messier 13 (M13) The Great Globular Cluster in the constellation Hercules. From my backyard observatory.

US Army, Retired
NRA Golden Eagle Life Member

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin
I didn't read the text and thought to myself.
Where did he find a metal flake bowling ball ?

Big Grin

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reconair:
Messier 13 (M13) The Great Globular Cluster in the constellation Hercules. From my backyard observatory.

How big of a spotting scope do you need to get a picture like that Wink

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Southwest Airlines Boeing 737 N711HK
The "The Herbert D. Kelleher" named after the company's late founder. One of only two planes left in SWA's fleet in their original Desert Gold livery. A very rare site coming out of Logan.

Unfortunately I was on the wrong side of the sun from this when it was taking off so I had to saturate the hell out of it in lightroom to get the detail to show. But there was no way that I wasn't going to get a picture of it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ryan81986,

Posts: 6337 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Took a ride to one of our favorite reservoirs, it was still icy at 8500 ft. On the way back we decided to check a private reservoir for shore birds nesting. No shorebirds but the spawning carp were amazing, I think they have a problem.

Kolob Reservoir:

Blue Spring:

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3388 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
This is the First Hummer we seen this year.
In Northeast Indiana

Posts: 1596 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was supposed to put the necter bottles out today, got side tracked till tomorrow, there was a Baltimore Oriole at the bird bath this morning, real early.

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Took the boat out for a test run today after doing some work on the fuel tank earlier this week. The lake was gorgeous...water was crystal clear and you could see all the way to the bottom down to 10-12 feet or so. We tried some fishing but the the water is still very cold and not much was moving.

Then we saw a big dead fish on the bottom. My son, being an 11 year-old boy, decided to hook it and check it out. Turned out to be a 32" northern pike with a whopper of a bluegill stuck in his gullet. He must have bit off more than he could chew and choked to death on it.

He unhooked it, but it didn't sink. We kept fishing and started drifting away from it, when I looked back and a bald eagle (we have them around here, but they're not terribly common) was diving right at me not 20 feet away. It hit the fish, but left it in the water...not sure if it decided it was too big, or wasn't looking for already dead stuff. Either way, it was pretty awesome!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of these days I'll have to get somewhere else to link these photos from other than Facebook. Hopefully everyone can see it.

Snuck out during the last New Moon cycle and took a couple pictures of the Milky Way. I was finally playing with some new techniques for adjusting them tonight.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see it....and it's gorgeous.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Duck Doctor
Picture of reconair
posted Hide Post
Nice catch!
quote:
Originally posted by WildSig:
One of these days I'll have to get somewhere else to link these photos from other than Facebook. Hopefully everyone can see it.

Snuck out during the last New Moon cycle and took a couple pictures of the Milky Way. I was finally playing with some new techniques for adjusting them tonight.

US Army, Retired
NRA Golden Eagle Life Member

‘‘Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? ... If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?’’

— Patrick Henry

Posts: 576 | Location: Near Lake Anna, Virginia | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My HOA last year replaced some shrubs with Prickly Pear cacti. They've been covered with bud all this spring and now they have begun to bloom. Herewith a few shots I took today.

DEC_3241
by David Casteel, on Flickr

DEC_3233

DEC_3232

DEC_3230

DEC_3229

These plants will become much more full of blossoms in the next few days, but I wanted to get some as soon as they appeared.

And here is one of my garage Flag (the stars actually are embroidered white, but they don't show up that way here):

DEC_3243

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Went back out yesterday to do some more fishing, and took the DSLR along just in case the eagle made another appearance. The lighting kinda sucked, but I got a few shots:

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you are very fortunate, we have to drive 20 miles to see those. how far are you from my cornfields?

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
you are very fortunate, we have to drive 20 miles to see those. how far are you from my cornfields?

We're in North Central Indiana...about 2 hours east of Chicago. That nest is on a 550 acre lake about 5 minutes from my house...we fish it often.

posted Hide Post
How about another one from my trip out in April.

I really like shooting this old house but there are so many trees around it I can't get very far away from it and it does kind of make it hard to frame shots.

All of this is just practice for when I actually take a night photography class later this year with a professional photographer that specializes in this. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
There's a house similar to that a few miles from here, not much better condition except it has a porch and windows ... and people live in it. Ive often wondered if they make it look aged on purpose as its been like that for 20+ years and it hasn't gotten condemed!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
92, that is awesome, seeing them up close is impressive, it's been a long time since I've had to chance to see one up close.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
92, that is awesome, seeing them up close is impressive, it's been a long time since I've had to chance to see one up close.

Yeah, they're pretty amazing, and HUGE! There's also a family of kingfishers on the same lake, and lots of blue herons and sandhill cranes. Getting out on the lake is a treat, even when we don't catch any fish...especially this time of the year when the water is still cold enough to keep all the FISHTABs with their wakeboats and obnoxious blaring music away.