SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    What did you photograph today?
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 146
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What did you photograph today? Login/Join 
Sigs are
my Panacea...
Picture of billpocz
posted Hide Post
There are many talented folks behind the lens in this thread!!

The 'car trails' rock, Matt!!

--- Sig 365, 365XL, 245, P6

Posts: 2001 | Location: Rural Northeastern KY | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ML knives.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TikritTourist
posted Hide Post

Tomorrow’s battle is won during today’s practice.
- Samurai maxim

Posts: 753 | Location: Northeast US | Registered: August 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do... or do not.
There is no try.
Picture of fau
posted Hide Post

This morning Smile

Posts: 2736 | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of leftnose
posted Hide Post
Bought some new lighting equipment so I futzed around with that for a bit this afternoon.

Posts: 647 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner

Posts: 566 | Location: Mountain Brook, AL | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Here's a few I tried out this morning with my new Nikon D3200 with just the 18-55mm lens and set on macro with 3D autofocus. I'm a bit of a newb with this stuff, so I need to figure out the programmable features on this thing rather than just the point and shoot. I was a little disappointed with the 3D focus as I thought that it would do a better job of focusing more of the subject. Maybe I'll try some of the other focus options, or just focus manually. Anyway, here's some moss on my trees.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You know, when they started putting cameras in cell phones I thought "What the heck would you need a camera in your phone for?"

Skip ahead a few years and not a week goes by without me using it several times. (even for regular photos, I can't remember the last time I used my real camera).

Funny how something you laughed at can change your life.

Saturdays use…

Take note of a key code rather than write it down.

Remember which way the belt is routed.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Here's a few I tried out this morning with my new Nikon D3200 with just the 18-55mm lens and set on macro with 3D autofocus. I'm a bit of a newb with this stuff, so I need to figure out the programmable features on this thing rather than just the point and shoot. I was a little disappointed with the 3D focus as I thought that it would do a better job of focusing more of the subject. Maybe I'll try some of the other focus options, or just focus manually. Anyway, here's some moss on my trees.

Looks like the autofocus is working fine, you just need a wider depth of field. You can achieve that if you figure out how to set it to aperture priority mode (not sure what that is on Nikon, Av on my Canon), and set the f/ number to a big number. Then more of your subject will be in focus.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html. The preceeding link allows calculation of your depth of field for different focal length, distance to subject, and aperture settings. Very useful at times. They have a mobile site and an app for some smartphones.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
quote:

Looks like the autofocus is working fine, you just need a wider depth of field. You can achieve that if you figure out how to set it to aperture priority mode (not sure what that is on Nikon, Av on my Canon), and set the f/ number to a big number. Then more of your subject will be in focus.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html. The preceeding link allows calculation of your depth of field for different focal length, distance to subject, and aperture settings. Very useful at times. They have a mobile site and an app for some smartphones.

Thanks for the info. I think its just "A" on the Nikon. I'll give in a whirl.

Perhaps I understand it wrong though. If I have a larger f/number, won't that give me a narrower field of focus, and vice versa?

ETA: Never mind, I forgot its a fraction of the focal length.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vemon
posted Hide Post

Posts: 545 | Location: Moscow,Russia | Registered: December 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
quote:

Thanks for the info. I think its just "A" on the Nikon. I'll give in a whirl.

Perhaps I understand it wrong though. If I have a larger f/number, won't that give me a narrower field of focus, and vice versa?

ETA: Never mind, I forgot its a fraction of the focal length.

I have the D3100 and 90% of my shots are in aperture mode (A) because I like to have control of the depth of field. The smaller number for the f stop the narrower the DOF and the higher the number the deeper the DOF. I also use manual focus a lot to make sure the focus is exactly where I want it. Also with Nikons there is a setting in the menu called Active-D Lighting. This adjusts for shooting into or out of shadows. It's a fun setting to play with. There are a ton of useful videos on YouTube that will get you going with more creative shots. They've helped me a lot.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I have the D3100 and 90% of my shots are in aperture mode (A) because I like to have control of the depth of field. The smaller number for the f stop the narrower the DOF and the higher the number the deeper the DOF. I also use manual focus a lot to make sure the focus is exactly where I want it. Also with Nikons there is a setting in the menu called Active-D Lighting. This adjusts for shooting into or out of shadows. It's a fun setting to play with. There are a ton of useful videos on YouTube that will get you going with more creative shots. They've helped me a lot.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I'm really liking this camera and am amazed at what I can do with it. I've always been just an autofocus point and shoot kind of guy, but after my trip to Israel, and realizing how many good photos that I missed because I didn't have a good camera (or the knowledge to take good pics to begin with) I decided to jump into photography more seriously. This camera was rated pretty highly and Amazon had a good deal with two lenses included (18-55 and 55-200), so I figured I grab it. Very happy so far.

posted Hide Post
Charcoal elephant gear.

T&C2 and 1 1/4" belt.

Posts: 5283 | Location: GA | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Blechhh!!! I hate these things, but as long as they're behind glass...

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Old School...

New School...

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10937 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Tonight's dinner.

My wife made Stir Fry

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Spent a few days on the left coast...Portland.

I had to get some proof to my friends that Portland was the beer capital of the US.

The Beer Board at Bailey's Tap Room should suffice...

I rented a car ($23/day from the downtown Dollar guys - nice!) and headed out to the coast. Those of you in Oregon know where I am going... Cannon Beach and Haystack Rock. In my years I have been almost everywhere but this my first time on this beach, so I was enjoying it.

Haystack Rock:

And another pic of a log washed up, with the rocks in the background.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post