SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Can you explain this photo of mine?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you explain this photo of mine? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
How much do you know about photography?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
You're using a Marchioni Tiltall tripod as a clothes rack?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that the Army’s new transgender uniform?

Posts: 1053 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ALS and filter on the lens?

Posts: 269 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Infrared filter?

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a bougainvillea that dense Razz

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Not enough cyan & yellow.

Filters are off.

All the "red" should be shades of green.

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
You're using a Marchioni Tiltall tripod as a clothes rack?

Close. It’s virtually identical to another tripod I have that was marketed as the Tiltall manufactured by UNIPHOT. The one in the photo was purchased in the late 1960s and is branded the Brilliant Professional.

But although that’s a good eye, it’s not the question. One of you is warm, but no filters were involved. Note that not everything is in shades of red, including the tree trunk at the left, and especially not the coat on the left.

There was no post exposure manipulation of the image either.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Print a positive on negative paper?

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
Print a positive on negative paper?

No, no manipulation like that.

Added: The above image was originally a positive transparency (slide) that was converted to a positive straight print. The original exposure was in 1987 or 1988.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Taken during a solar eclipse event? WAG BTW. Smile

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Was there ever a film manufactured for florescent color temperature?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
The camera seems color blind.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Infrared film.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Infrared film.

flashguy

Yes. Agreed.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Infrared film.

flashguy

Yes, correct.
At one time Kodak produced two types of film that was sensitive to infrared light, black and white (monochrome), and color.

The B/W was much more commonly used and produced distinctive results. Because most vegetation reflects IR very strongly, B/W infrared photos of grass, leaves, etc., showed foliage as very light colored. On the other hand, little IR comes from the sky, and therefore it would be very dark.

The color IR film was reportedly developed as a way of detecting artificial camouflage. As with the OD field jacket in the photo, something that was just painted green wouldn’t necessarily reflect IR light in the same way as vegetation. Although I can’t explain all the technical details of color IR film, it was designed so that the IR light it was exposed to showed up as red in the photograph. That was an artificial rendering of the infrared light, but necessary because humans can’t see IR light directly.

At one time no effort was made to ensure that military uniforms reflected IR light in the same way as vegetation, and an example is the old field jacket on the left that dated from the mid-1960s. Later, however, IR reflectance became an issue, and the first “BDU” uniforms corrected the problem. That’s why the camouflage pattern shirt shows up in the photo in shades of red.

AFAIK, Kodak color IR film has long been discontinued, but at least one manufacturer still reportedly makes a version.

There are many examples of B/W IR photos on the Internet, but here is one of mine from 50+ years ago.

And as another bit of IR photography trivia, camera lenses don’t focus infrared light in the same plane as visible light. Many film camera lenses of yesteryear therefore bore a small red mark in the distance scale on the lens to indicate how the setting should be adjusted to focus at infinity when using black and white IR film.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.
I recall experimenting with B&W infrared film when I was in HS.
Was not aware of color infrared.

Learn new things here daily.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
People are taking their older digital camera bodies and having the sensor converted to IR.

This gives a dedicated camera body for IR photos, and the results are really amazing.

Love your shot,
Dave

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lizardman_u:
People are taking their older digital camera bodies and having the sensor converted to IR.

Yes, I had heard of that and was giving it some consideration myself.

6.4/93.6

— Plato

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I thought IR reflectivity was only worried about recently with the proliferation of standard issue night vision devices. Were IR film cameras issued gear? I imagine there would be one mounted on observation aircraft.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post