SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Today's Rattlesnake Encounter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Today's Rattlesnake Encounter Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I took some family members down to Alligator River NWR. My truck was full so I didn't take my Nikon camera. These are cell phone pics of a very large Canebrake Rattlesnake that we came across.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Very nice pix, even from a phone. I'm sort of used to rattlers here in AZ, including the most poisonous of all, the Mohave. Still that canebrake looks mean.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Wow, that’s quite the rattler.

Since moving back here almost two years ago, I have yet to come across one. I’m hoping that Mrs. Cooker is with me if I do. She’s never seen one in person and really wants to.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Beautiful timber rattler. When I lived in NE Alabama I got to see one track a bitten chipmunk, locate it, and swallow it. Great pics.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Beautiful animal! Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good looking animal
Those are some great looking pictures also

I am jealous because i can say without a doubt, my camera doesn't take pictures that clear and vivid.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
A beauty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
No thanks. Nice pics though.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The time I took a picture of a rattlesnake with an iPhone it kind of freaked me out. The distance from me to snake seemed smaller with the iPhone. Beautiful pictures of the Canebreak.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Very pretty! Great pics! The quality of cellphone cameras is really remarkable these days. Thanks for sharing.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
Nice pic's, but please keep them in your part of the state Big Grin

Posts: 1949 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
A very healthy looking guy..or girl.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Great pics. Funny how most of the beautiful snakes are the dangerous ones.

Michael

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Great pics. Funny how most of the beautiful snakes are the dangerous ones.

Michael

Agree 100%. The dangerous ones are the gorgeous ones. I so wanted to pick this up. Canebrakes/Timbers are fairly easy going when it comes to rattlers. In fact, they are far less spastic than a lot of nonvenomous varieties. The problem is that one that decides to prove that notion wrong. Then you have to live in the hospital for a month, pretty much loose whatever it bites, live with tingling and burning in your lips the rest of your life, and end up with a $150,000 hospital bill.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful and deadly. I am amazed at how beefy these things can get. I had one that slithered it's way across my road years ago and it was about 7 feet long and seemed like it was eating well.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do those go away for the winter, like in the midwest?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Yes. After about mid October, you really don't see much of them. They are pretty active right now trying to fatten up for hibernation.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
No thanks. Nice pics though.

My thought exactly! Very cool pics Micropterus!

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnificent...

Posts: 153 | Registered: December 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Nice pic's, but please keep them in your part of the state Big Grin

Yeah! What HE said! Big Grin

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post