SIGforum
Today's Rattlesnake Encounter

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6910097474

September 20, 2020, 08:24 PM
Micropterus
Today's Rattlesnake Encounter
I took some family members down to Alligator River NWR. My truck was full so I didn't take my Nikon camera. These are cell phone pics of a very large Canebrake Rattlesnake that we came across.

September 21, 2020, 06:46 AM
henryaz

Very nice pix, even from a phone. I'm sort of used to rattlers here in AZ, including the most poisonous of all, the Mohave. Still that canebrake looks mean.

When in doubt, mumble
September 21, 2020, 08:37 AM
Beancooker
Wow, that’s quite the rattler.

Since moving back here almost two years ago, I have yet to come across one. I’m hoping that Mrs. Cooker is with me if I do. She’s never seen one in person and really wants to.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread
September 21, 2020, 09:27 AM
gearhounds
Beautiful timber rattler. When I lived in NE Alabama I got to see one track a bitten chipmunk, locate it, and swallow it. Great pics.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
September 21, 2020, 06:38 PM
sigfreund
Beautiful animal! Thanks.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
September 21, 2020, 08:23 PM
mrapteam666
That's a good looking animal
Those are some great looking pictures also

I am jealous because i can say without a doubt, my camera doesn't take pictures that clear and vivid.
September 21, 2020, 08:47 PM
jhe888
A beauty.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 21, 2020, 08:57 PM
coloradohunter44
No thanks. Nice pics though.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!
September 22, 2020, 12:19 PM
k5blazer
The time I took a picture of a rattlesnake with an iPhone it kind of freaked me out. The distance from me to snake seemed smaller with the iPhone. Beautiful pictures of the Canebreak.
September 22, 2020, 01:54 PM
pulicords
Very pretty! Great pics! The quality of cellphone cameras is really remarkable these days. Thanks for sharing.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."
September 24, 2020, 06:51 PM
SSgt USMC/Vet
Nice pic's, but please keep them in your part of the state Big Grin
September 24, 2020, 08:37 PM
urbanwarrior238
A very healthy looking guy..or girl.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member
September 24, 2020, 10:01 PM
mdblanton
Great pics. Funny how most of the beautiful snakes are the dangerous ones.

Michael
September 24, 2020, 10:45 PM
Micropterus
quote:
Originally posted by mdblanton:
Great pics. Funny how most of the beautiful snakes are the dangerous ones.

Michael

Agree 100%. The dangerous ones are the gorgeous ones. I so wanted to pick this up. Canebrakes/Timbers are fairly easy going when it comes to rattlers. In fact, they are far less spastic than a lot of nonvenomous varieties. The problem is that one that decides to prove that notion wrong. Then you have to live in the hospital for a month, pretty much loose whatever it bites, live with tingling and burning in your lips the rest of your life, and end up with a $150,000 hospital bill.

September 25, 2020, 10:30 AM
patw
Beautiful and deadly. I am amazed at how beefy these things can get. I had one that slithered it's way across my road years ago and it was about 7 feet long and seemed like it was eating well.
September 25, 2020, 10:53 AM
bendable
do those go away for the winter, like in the midwest?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first
September 25, 2020, 12:12 PM
Micropterus
Yes. After about mid October, you really don't see much of them. They are pretty active right now trying to fatten up for hibernation.

September 25, 2020, 06:23 PM
remsig
quote:
Originally posted by coloradohunter44:
No thanks. Nice pics though.

My thought exactly! Very cool pics Micropterus!
October 20, 2020, 04:49 PM
TGA
Magnificent...
October 21, 2020, 05:33 AM
vthoky
quote:
Originally posted by SSgt USMC/Vet:
Nice pic's, but please keep them in your part of the state Big Grin

Yeah! What HE said! Big Grin

God bless America.