SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    American Bison
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Bison Login/Join 
Picture of xl_target
posted
It was a beautiful day yesterday, so I ventured out to see if I could shoot some Bison on the prairie (digitally, of course).

Fattening up on the reddening prairie.

After a long stalk, we get close enough to get some good detail, even though we have to shoot into the sun.

My friend says that he can run faster than me. I tell him: "If they decide to charge, I'm gonna shoot you in the leg". Smile

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Beautiful beasts and part of Americana. Isn't there Bison in a national park that have been recommended to be shot to reduce the herds?

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
Tasty creatures

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11144 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
This herd in Minnesota is supposed to be genetically pure without and cattle DNA.

According to Wikipedia, Bison can be quite dangerous when provoked, hence the comment about trying to outrun them:

quote:
Despite being the closest relatives of domestic cattle native to North America, bison were never domesticated by Native Americans. Later attempts of domestication by Europeans prior to the 20th century met with limited success. Bison were described as having a "wild and ungovernable temper";[41] they can jump close to 6 ft (1.8 m) vertically,[42] and run 35–40 mph (56–64 km/h) when agitated. This agility and speed, combined with their great size and weight, makes bison herds difficult to confine, as they can easily escape or destroy most fencing systems, including most razor wire.

quote:
Dangers to humans
Bison are among the most dangerous animals encountered by visitors to the various U.S. and Canadian national parks and will attack humans if provoked. They appear slow because of their lethargic movements, but can easily outrun humans; bison have been observed running as fast as 40 mph (64 km/h).
Between 1980 and 1999, more than three times as many people in Yellowstone National Park were injured by bison than by bears. During this period, bison charged and injured 79 people, with injuries ranging from goring puncture wounds and broken bones to bruises and abrasions. Bears injured 24 people during the same time. Three people died from the injuries inflicted—one person by bison in 1983, and two people by bears in 1984 and 1986

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post